How Do I Create A Seamless Tiered Cake?

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 12:00am by Dayti

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 3 tier winter wedding cake the beginning of December.. When I stack the fondant covered cakes what should I use to get rid of the gap between the cakes? Can I pipe pure white frosting? I have not had luck with stacking fondant cakes and not having the fondant on the bottom cake sticking to the cake board of the cake on top. They were also done during the summer so I don't know if that had something to do with it.. Any help is greatly appreciated..

THANK YOU!

Oh and I can't use ribbon. ~:/

8 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 9

Most people sure a border of some sort. You could do a fondant ribbon, fondant balls, icing dots, pearls, there are all types of things. Do a search through the wedding cakes pictures and see if something cathces your eye.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

You can also pipe white royal icing in the gap and smooth out with a damp paintbrush, flush to the edge of your cake. This makes the cake look seamless, and is especially helpful if your client doesn't want a border around each tier.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 9

I was really hoping someone would say the royal icing..lol It has to be flat. The bride wants it crisp, no ribbon. It will be completely white so the royal icing would definitely work..

I have been searching for almost an hour trying to find a cake that was all white that didn't have ribbon or a visible border. I knew that if I posted here someone would offer help.

Thank you mom2twogrlz and Dayti!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 9

I pipe royal icing in the space all of the time. Once the extra is removed the cake really looks seamless. I just use my finger to remove the extra icing.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 9

THANK YOU!! I feel so much better now! Winter is quickly approaching here in Pennsylvania and my fondant and gumpaste have been behaving so much better but this will be my first wedding cake and the girl is a sweetheart. I did the Great Pumpkin cake for her bridal shower this past weekend. Making all of those figures and pumpkins then driving it on the highway was less stressful than figuring out how to make the tiers come together.. I just got Ednas stargazer lily DVD cause the girl wants a few red stargazers. I have everything ready..............Oh I'm rambling, I'm sorry!

Dayti Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 9

Glad to be of help. Here is a pic of part of a cake I did with the RI in the gap.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 9

PERFECT!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Dayti Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #9 of 9

Good luck with your cake icon_wink.gif The good thing about RI is it washes away pretty well if you make a mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%