Advice For Taking Portfolio Pictures

Business By cakegirl1973 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 4:42am by momtofourmonkeys

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I am building my portfolio and I don't think that my pictures look very professional. Basically, I have been placing the cake on a table with a tablecloth. I have seen other pictures of cakes with a white or black background, and the pictures seem professional and really highlight the cakes.

What tips or hints do you have to improve the quality of photos taken when building your portfolio?
Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies
CrescentMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrescentMoon Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 7

I use a homemade light box.. I got the directions from:
studiolighting(dot)net/homemade-light-box-for-product-photography/

You can look at the photos I have taken, I think they turned out pretty good. For diffrent color backdrops you can use diffrent colored poster board or fabric (I attach it to the top inside of the box using velcro dots)

Hope this helps

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

I bought a science project board from Staples - it's thick and stands on it's own. Makes a great white background (not to mention hides the mess). If I want something other than white I hang wrapping paper over it.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7

I have a large black sheet that I use and put it over my stove top. Then I take the picture there. easy peasy.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:08am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 7

I'm not a pro but trying to improve...I use a white tablecloth in a room with the most bright natural light (usually morning sun) and no flash.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:42am
post #7 of 7

I bought a project board from Wal-Mart along with an inexpensive black sheet from the clearance section. I set the project board on a card table, drape the sheet over the board and table, then place the cakes on the table and on the sheet. Works great! If the sheet gets dirty, I just toss it in the washing machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%