Over The Top Wedding Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 9:26am by brincess_b

deetmar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 15

I have a bride looking for an over-the top wedding cake, and am out of ideas. Do you know of any websites that I could get some ideas from?

Thanks,

14 replies
VaBelle Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 15

I've seen some pretty amazing cakes on here.

icer101 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 15

What does she call over the top and what sorta idea has she given you to go on. Lots of over the top wedding cakes on this site. I love to look at Carrie Biggers website. It is beautiful. Can,t think of the name. I just always goole Carrie Biggers.Sharonssugarshack.com, sugardelites.com. designmeacake.com, etc. hth

dsilvest Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 15

Do a search on google images for wedding cakes. Just try different combination of words for your search. You must have a general idea of the style of cake that you are looking for. I just typed in "over the top wedding cakes" and found some interesting ones.

deetmar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 15

All she told me is she wants them to walk in the room and say WOW! I have gone through the cakes here, but there are so many that are fabulous. I know the people have posted links to websites in the past, and I was just looking for different ideas.

She started out square, then went to round, wants lots of flowers, her colors are white with champagne and purple. I have shown her a lot of cakes, but I think she will know it when she see's it. I did her soon to be sister-in law's, and she keeps coming back to that one. We'll see.

dsilvest Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 15

Give her the job of looking at images online and bring you a few that she likes. She needs to narrow down her choice to a few. Sounds like she doesn't know what she wants. How are you supposed to read her mind?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 15

Of course WOW=$$$. So, I was just thinking about extra tall tiers with spacers that had appropriate figurines to depict the couple. However, instead of the traditional column spacers, you would hide the supports with either cake or RKT to make a sort of grotto to look into the cake and see a kind of hidden room. Lit with an LED string and a mirror base for the figurine, it would be bright and a surprise. More than one "hidden room" would be amazing.

EvMarie Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 15

What about one of the stands at the link below? I've seen a few of these seriously wonky stands on CC a few times and the comments always contain a "wow" or an "omg". They seem to be not terribly popular yet.

The link below shows a pic with square and round cakes with lots of floral in between the tiers. You could over flow those spots with floral in her wedding colors. It seems that this design would depend on you feeling pretty darn comfortable with floral, whether it be sugar or silk.

You could make it funky and fun or, elegant dripping/flowing with flowers. Although, I'm not sure where you find the stand?

http://weddingcakesite.net/tag/wedding-cakes/page/149/

EvMarie Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #9 of 15

Okay - I found more info -

(1) CC thread talking about how to build a "caddy wompus" cake stand with plumbing materials
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=628805&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

(2) another example of that stand used on amazing wedding cakes
http://happysugarbakingland.typepad.com/happy-sugar-baking-land/2010/11/amazing-wedding-cakes-through-the-looking-glass.html

(3) the style and stand is designed by a couple fellows called Bronwen Weber and Francois Long. They are sold on http://www.caljavaonline.com/cakestudy1.htm but it says they are out of stock.

If you're interested in that idea...that info should cover it! Doesn't seem like you have to carve or anything horribly hard with cake. Just the decoration. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:58am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Give her the job of looking at images online and bring you a few that she likes. She needs to narrow down her choice to a few. Sounds like she doesn't know what she wants. How are you supposed to read her mind?

Ditto!!

"If you dont' know, then I don't either" is how I address this problem. I would usually, in a teasing voice, tell them, "Oh good! That means I get to do whatever I want and you don't get to complain for one second about it!" icon_twisted.gif That usually lit a fire under them to make a decision.

But yeah .... I may call "over the top" just tall and grand with lots of tiers, pillars and fountains, but she may call over-the-top something in a Twilight or Goth theme.

her wedding ... her decision.

deetmar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:13am
post #11 of 15

Some Great Ideas, thanks.

I have wanted to try one of those stands, but it's seems pricey. I really wish someone would do a tutorial on how to make these. I can't even make the one witht he center pole.

indydebi I was thinking the same thing. I feel like I have been looking all night. I think it's time to turn it over to her, she can afford to lose more sleep than I can.

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:16am
post #12 of 15

I think this one is over the top. I saved this one when I saw it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1824309

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:23am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I think this one is over the top. I saved this one when I saw it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1824309

Oh wow! In the encyclopedia under "Over The Top" should be a photo of this cake! icon_surprised.gif I made it a fave, too.

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:27am
post #14 of 15

Did you like that one indydebi? When i first saw it I thought wow I hope nobody asks me to ever make this one but it was so awesome I had to save it.

brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:26am
post #15 of 15

for over the top, id look at the woman that did the cake walk book, or collette peters - but yes, id be passing the name on to the client to look her self!!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%