Americolor Navy Blue Separating?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 6

I need to use Indydebi's BC recipe colored with Americolor Navy Blue for a cake at the end of this month. I colored some icing yesterday for a rainbow Dora cake and it looked really grainy like it had separated from the icing. I mixed and mixed but to no avail. I didn't add in a lot of color.

Is this a common issue with this coloring or is dark coloring just not compatible with this recipe? I also had the same problem with the Leaf Green, which incidentally also got separated with SugarShack's icing recipe. It makes me wonder if it's an Americolor issue...

Any ideas?

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 6

I have found that the Navy blue and Teal colors are more like water..I have sent mine back a few times but they keep coming back like that.It may be in the way they are made...It still colors my icing but takes more...

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

I had this problem too, so I asked the question on here a while back and was told to add some cornstarch to the icing (I think it was 1 t. to each cup of icing) and that helped, but ultimately I ended up trying different shortenings. I am fortunate to live fairly close to a store that supplies with Hi-Ratio shortening, so once I tried that I have not had the separating issue. HTH!

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 6

See, I am out of hi ratio but I don't want to pay $70 for a 50 lb block at the local food distributor, and I really don't want to pay $15 in shipping for it either. I don't have a business and I'm doing this as a gift for a friend. I was wondering if it was the Crisco in the recipe. But like I said, I did use SugarShack's recipe with hi ratio over the summer and the Leaf Green separated on me too. I also used a Royal Purple from Americolor and that was fine, so was the red, orange, and yellow. It's just the Leaf Green and Navy Blue for some reason.

I am trying to get a midnight blue color for a solar system cake. I didn't want to do black buttercream so I figured a nice deep blue would be pretty. Now I'm in a conundrum because of this separation issue. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for all your replies.

baxterboo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 6

What do you mean by Hi-ratio?

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

Hi ratio shortening is different than Crisco or standard vegetable shortening. It's specifically designed for icings. Popular brands include Alpine and Sweetex. Hi ratio holds more liquid and sugar, so you end up using less shortening to make your icing. Also, it is way less greasy and does not leave a greasy film in your mouth. It makes a very creamy and fluffy icing.

Depending on where you live in the country, hi ratio can be very elusive. I have only been able to order it in smaller quantities in the past on the internet. Sometimes you can find it at cake decorating shops or food distributors. But usually it's sold in 50 lb blocks for 60-70 dollars or so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%