Buttercream Dream Users- Your Thoughts/help/opinions Please!

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:39am
post #1 of 10

I need to switch my buttercream, and am deciding between a couple different, but similar recipes. I've made BD, and liked the taste. I'm hoping to get reviews from those of you who use this recipe. I saw a few random negative comments here and there about it, but any recipe can get those depending on a lot of factors.

I always refrigerate my cakes, I work on it a while, refrigerate it and let it stiffen, then work again, etc. They're also stronger when cold for transport. Do you users refrigerate it or not? I saw a post about it sweating badly after being refrigerated and I'm concerned about that. I really need to refrigerate.

I also saw some other comments about bulging and sliding, any problems with that? I've been cake decorating for over 10 years. I'm not talking about when you make the cake wrong and those problems happen, I'm saying if everything's done 'right', is this icing dependable?

I'm going to make this icing again and experiment before the time it's needed but I wanted some thoughts from those of you who use it! Thanks in advance!

9 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:48am
post #2 of 10

Bulging is a result of a cake settling after the decorator being over anxious to decorate does not let it do so before hand or overfilling the cake. It has nothing to do with the icing recipe.

I've used it before, haven't had any problems with it. I usually make a variation of it because I don't really accurately measure the shortening for it, I just use a spoon to take out how much i want to use.

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:34am
post #3 of 10

I've used it before. I made both cakes and cupcakes with it, and it worked just fine.

I do normally chill my cakes after the crumbcoat, then let it sit out the next day to make sure it's all settled. I didn't have a problem with condensation.

The only issue my "tasters" had with this recipe was that it was a little on the sweet side. But for people like DH and the kids, they like sweet. I did end up switching to Ms. Indydebi's BC, and everyone went nuts. lol icon_lol.gif

eieio1234 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:30am
post #4 of 10

Thanks Mys. for your input. As I said, I decorated for years, I wasn't talking about when you make the cake wrong. I just wanted an opinion from people who used this before. Some icings just don't work right.

Sugar, thanks for the answer on the condensation question, that's my biggest concern. I remember making a cake at least 6 years ago that sweated like crazy. It was a humid day, but that sweat was something I've never seen before and it makes me wonder if it had been BC I used!! I'm making a trial run this morning just to see for myself but like I said I was hoping for input from someone who's used it before. I also am making a batch of Indydebi's to test them against each other. I actually have the printouts for both of them from 2007, and on Buttercream Dream I wrote "great" on it, but on Indy's I have a page full of additional notes about the best way to make it, but I never wrote a critique of taste on it. I'm going to make both and see. I've seen that critique in the last few days I've been looking on here, that BC is too sweet.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 10

The buttercream dream is all tha I use. I fill and crumb coat, then I let the cake settle before I put the second layer of icing on it. As for the sliding...never had an issue with it, I do always add some meringue powder to it even though the recipe doesn't call for it.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 10

I also only use the BD, and everyone has always loved it. I do the same as you with pulling in and out of refrig because I have a little helper, and it has never been a problem. Every cake in my album uses this icing. Over the summer I did a baby shower in 97 degree weather after pulling from fridge and had no condensation problem. I do usually modify it with different flavors and creamers or whipping cream. To cut the sweetness, I microwave my liquid and dissolve about a teaspoon of salt into it before adding.

eieio1234 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 10

Jen and Yums, you guys rock, thank you so much for your help, I *really* appreciate it. thumbs_up.gif

Yums, I saw a note about meringue in it and thought about throwing some in there. I always almost tasted an aftertaste from meringue over the years, like in Royal icing, so I figured maybe I wouldn't, but this would be a much smaller quantity so I probably wouldn't taste it. Considering this is November and cooler, I probably won't use it, but if it was humid I would!

Jen, that's one of the reasons I always refrig'd it during making the cake, because of my little 'helpers!" It got the cake out of the way and safe from little fingers!! After years of doing it that way, I can't do it another way! I also like how it hardens up, then I can continue working and if I flubbed something, I could adjust the newest icing, with the older layer staying put. And now, with this cake I was thinking it may need to stay out overnight at the hall the wedding will be at, and I hate that thought! It feels 'safer' in the fridge!

eieio1234 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 10

Oh, I just thought of some questions (it's mixing now!)

Have you guys doubled the recipe with success?? I used to do a double recipe of my old one, (4lbs of sugar) at a time. Have you guys tried that with this?

Also, do you store it on the counter or in the fridge in the days before you use it? I usually make it up a day or two beforehand, store at room temp, then rewhip before use.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 10

I have doubled it but don't like to because it is too much for my mixer. I store it in the fridge, and i usually make it up to a week in advance. I think it freezes nicely too.

eieio1234 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Yums, I have one of the big professional kitchen aid's so I think I'll be alright.

I just made this and indydebi's. Wow, no comparison to me, this one is much better. That one has no butter, but has such great reviews, I thought I might like it. I wish I had hi ratio on hand, because my old recipe is better than both, in my opinion, but if I had to pick one between those two, Buttercream dream definitely wins.

I haven't frosted anything yet, just going off of taste with that comparison!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%