Help! How Do I Get My Cakes To The Party??!!***

Baking By 14September Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm by mimi1218

14September Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:45am
post #1 of 13

Hello all,
Have been up for hours lovingly creating 24 cupcakes in pink and white for a friend's daughters 6th birthday party.
They look fab, I am very pleased with them, but how do I get them in one piece to the party venue 2 miles away?!
I have decorated and 'sprinkled' them and now they are on a lovely wicker tray ready to serve ..... will they survive careful driving on my front passenger seat?

Am I an idiot? - it was fun making them, but now I am worried!!!!!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:47am
post #2 of 13

You dont' have a cake box to put them in for transport? (and then transfer them to a tray when you get there). How about any non-skid material to put under them so they wont' topple? Can you sit the tray down inside a box?

14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:59am
post #3 of 13

Thanks Indydebi - no I don't have a cake transporting box but I do have a few cake tins. Do you think they would be better in cake tins to travel and then put them on my display tray?

I have piped a swirl of your delicious buttercream on the top of a very thin layer of fondant pouring icing, covered with pink crystals and then I made a name plaque for each of the children from florists paste which I edged with pink glitter - they look great, I am so chuffed, but I really should have thought about how I was going to get them there!!

Lesson 101 LEARNED!!! So much to learn!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:16am
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gif Ah, we've all been there!

I took some cupcakes to my daughter's house just this week for her Mary Kay party and I transported them in a big cake pan. When we got there, we moved them to a pretty serving tray. I didn't have any non-skid material under them and they stayed in place pretty good. They were also pretty snug in the pan .... loose enough that they didn't moosh each other and mess up anything, but close enough to prevent toppling.

14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:42am
post #5 of 13

ooohhh ... put them back in the cake pan ... now thats a good idea! Thanks so much, you are a star!
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 13

if you don't hav enough pans youu can turn your cupcake pan over an form aluminum foil over the bottom to create a tray, put that on a cookie sheet or in a larger pan. Place your cupcakes in the foil trays and they won't slide into eachother during transport

14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks Leily ... top tip!

I can report that my beautiful cakes arrived safely and were very much admired. Result ... I got paid £24 and another 4 people ordered some.
I am one very happy cup cake baker!!

14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 13

[img]Image

am not sure how to post a photo - has this worked? if not, can anyone help?[/img]

14September Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 13

whoops, sorry .... pic is very very big, what have I done wrong?!!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 13

I don't think you did anything wrong. Gorgeous cupcakes!

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 13

Have a look in Poundland, they've got some excellent stuff for boxing up food stuff. I got a round plastic cake transportation box there, and it even had a little handle on the top. They also sell the sillicone sheets/mats, which are useful for lining the bottom of boxes etc, to stop your cakes slipping.
I'm planning to stock up on those foil turkey roasting trays that you see loads of in the supermarkets prior to Christmas, they're really deep sided, and may be quite good for transporting cuppies. All they'd need would be a bit of foil or cling film over the top.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 13

Not sure where in the midlands you are but I'm sure the Cake decorating stall at Rugeley market sells the cupcake boxes(don't think Cannock have them).

I ordered mine off the internet though, they come flat packed so are compact until you need them.

I've got some 12's and 24's, they are brilliant cause they have the trays in to keep cakes still but quite strong cardboard.

Mine come in handy when I've got to transport over 50 at a time.

The non-slip stuff can be found in Home and Bargain I think, it is in a small roll(cream colour) and can be cut to whatever size you need, good for putting on floor of car/boot to stop boxes sliding around

Davina

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 13

Also, if you have a gift box from a department store (shirt size) put the box together completely and cut "x's" into the top in rows of 3. push those in a bit and place the cupcakes in the holes. This will hold them in place and keep them from jiggling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%