Need Help With Price For Baby Shower Belly Cake

Decorating By aviles2005 Updated 23 Oct 2013 , 9:06pm by phatsnax

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #1 of 19

I was asked to do a belly cake for a baby shower, Using a half sheet cake and the belly Dress over top.. They want white fondant dress and fresh flowers on top.. I am really not sure what to charge and was wondering if any of you have made something similar and how much you charged or would charge. Should i come up with a price and add in the cost of flowers seperate or give a total price including the cost of flowers which im hoping to get at SAM's

Ohh and I never make sheet cakes.. EVER!! I love the high stacked cake and usually convince the person that its better icon_razz.gif I put 2 layer of filling and 3 layers of cake.. Should i not do this much for a half sheet cake? interested in your opinion.. THANKS

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 19

My belly cake alone is $150.00 so if you are adding 30 more servings...I would say another $100.00 at least...

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 19

I recently did a belly cake on top of an 11 by 15 layer cake. However, not knowing the area you live in the pricing might be differant.
I used fondant on the belly part of the cake and just buttercream on the sheet cake. No fillings as I don't torte my sheet cakes.
Looking back I undercharged a little and I charged the person $50.00. You can look in my photos for a picture of the cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 19

be careful with fresh flowers - watch out for poisonus ones, and they need to be pesticide free too.

sheet cakes usually arent filled, its just cake. (although i think that 'standard' depends on where you live) some people bake two sponges, and fill rather than torte one layer.

i would work out price in the normal way - ingredients, costs, labour. (a bit extra if client does want filling). i would give the cost as total, cake and flowers together.
xx

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 19

I charge $35 for the belly cake alone ( to me it serves about 10 so at $3.50 per it works out to $35 - I don't carve mine or anything). I recently did one on top of a 10" single layer and charged $60 for the whole thing. It was for a girlfriend so I gave her a bit of a deal but I'd probably normally charge $70 or so.

kiddiecakes - how big is your belly cake that it costs $150?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 19

The belly is an 8 inch half round and the breasts are 2 wondermolds so it feeds about 20...I charge $5.00 a serving for my fondant cakes and that one in particular in my photos took about 4 hours to decorate and LOTS of fondant so I charged extra..The customer had no problem paying it...I do understand it depends on the area.Don't under estimate the time it takes to do it though....That is where the cost is also...

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

The belly is an 8 inch half round and the breasts are 2 wondermolds so it feeds about 20...I charge $5.00 a serving for my fondant cakes and that one in particular in my photos took about 4 hours to decorate and LOTS of fondant so I charged extra..The customer had no problem paying it...I do understand it depends on the area.Don't under estimate the time it takes to do it though....That is where the cost is also...

Okay that makes more sense since it feeds a lot more. I use the half ball pan and then mini wondermolds for boobs. I think I may invest in a larger half ball pan though so that I can do just the belly cake itself instead of putting it on top of another cake. That was stressful icon_razz.gif

yeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeny Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 19

i made a 11x15 double layer covered in bc with pinapple filling and fondant cover belly on top for $60. i gave a big discount but i think it should of been more like $80. heres a pic. of it.

yeny Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 19
aviles2005 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:35am
post #10 of 19

hey thanks for all the replys and sharing your cake pics with me. also thanks for the methods on how you did it. I am just going to charge more for the cake and fill it then do the belly seperatly on top. Still havent figured out what to charge but this was a point in the right direction.. Thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:12am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeny

i made a 11x15 double layer covered in bc with pinapple filling and fondant cover belly on top for $60. i gave a big discount but i think it should of been more like $80. heres a pic. of it.

My 2-layer 11x15, which serves 70, would be $105. If covered in fondant, then it would be $175. I would probably add $50 to throw the belly-thing on top of it, so depending on BC or full-fondant, I would have sold it for $150 to $225.

You sold your double layer sheet cake for about 85 cents a serving. Wait ... that didn't count the extra cake for the belly-part, so the per-serving price was even lower than that.

This was a cake that served SEVENTY PEOPLE. that's a small wedding reception. icon_eek.gif

luts88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luts88 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 19

I am interested in making a belly cake also. I have the 8 inch half round and mini rounds. My question is do any of you fill these? I hate doing cakes without filling but I cannot find a way to do the belly cake with a filling with out stacking it on a sheet cake. This would create far too many servings. Any suggestions?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 19

luts88 - so you will be using round cakes and carving? so you will probably need more than one 8 inch (unless you bake a really deep one - then just torte it) so would have to use the filling to hold the cake together anyway. do any carving first, then go back, and add the filling.
xx

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 19

I make these all the time and charge $80. I make a sheet cake and use the wilton ball pan for the belly and two large muffins, carved, for the boobs! I cover in fondant and and don't torte the sheetcake.

aviles2005 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #15 of 19

dholdenrn, what size sheet pan? a 11 by 15?

dholdenrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dholdenrn Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 3:16am
post #16 of 19

yes

designndecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designndecorate Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 19

I read these replies and wonder how some of you are making any money!! You are covering cost of materials. I'm amazed!!! I guess pricing is very regional!

yeny Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:10pm
post #18 of 19

AYes, I'm selling myself short:/

phatsnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phatsnax Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 19

I was just asked to make a baby shower belly cake, and I told the lady that was ordering that it would be at LEAST @100, but depending on what she wanted (filling, fondant covering, etc), that would determine the FINAL price of the cake. I had been underpricing my cakes for a while, and started charging $3.50 per serving, and some people are still like, "Wow, wasn't expecting to pay that much for a cake," but they want a specific theme, with fondant covering, and for it to feed like 50 people (not this particular cake, though).

Now that I've seen some of the pricing mentioned, I do NOT feel bad. LOL Thanks, y'all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%