How Do I Add Shimmer To Buttercream Wedding Cake?

Decorating By 3djones Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 7:57am by diamonds-and-rust

3djones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3djones Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #1 of 6

I've made several wedding cakes, but still consider myself a newbie... recently I have been asked if I can create a smooth-surface four tier square wedding cake with some of the pearl dust on the cake. She requested silk stargazer lilies that she will provide (to match her bouquets) in a cascade over the finished white. I have never worked with the stuff that shimmers except on the few times I've made cakes with fondant. I would greatly appreciate some guidance and tips!!

5 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #2 of 6

I would use an airbrush and use pearl on it

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #3 of 6

You can just airbrush some pearl shimmer on the cake really easily!!!

If you do not have an airbrush, they make an aerosol can of the pearl, but I suggest practicing first because it can go on quite heavy and is harder to control.

3djones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3djones Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 6

I don't currently have an airbrush, so I may try the aerosol type. I was thinking I'd have to brush it on, so this sounds MUCH better to me! Buttercream is too "sensitive" for my amateur hands to try to keep from denting or gouging with a brush-on-finish, and aerosol sounds like it would go on more uniformly, too. I'll let you know!
Thanks, and Keep sending the tips, they are AWESOME!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djones

I don't currently have an airbrush, so I may try the aerosol type. I was thinking I'd have to brush it on, so this sounds MUCH better to me! Buttercream is too "sensitive" for my amateur hands to try to keep from denting or gouging with a brush-on-finish, and aerosol sounds like it would go on more uniformly, too. I'll let you know!
Thanks, and Keep sending the tips, they are AWESOME!

I tried the Americolor aerosol and it was a VERY heavy spray...which if the cake is white, it will probably be fine...but if it has color, it will dramatically alter the color. I have a pink castle cake in my photos that I am pretty sure that is the cake I used the aerosol can on.

So definitely get the "feel" of the spray a few times before taking it to the wedding cake.

Good luck!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:57am
post #6 of 6

Just yesterday I applied pearl shimmerdust to a white bc cake and it turned out great! I used Sharon's bc, and gave it a good half hour to crust...I then used a very fluffy brush (actually a Bare Minerals brush that is solely used for cakes) and then VERY lightly steamed it...It was gorgeous, looked light moonlight on new-fallen snow icon_smile.gif
HTH
Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%