How To Mix Two Cake Designs

Decorating By Alycat613 Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 3:11am by Alycat613

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 10

I am stuck. My daughter's 6th b-day is Tuesday and my niece's b-day is next Sunday. I am making the cake for my niece's b-day, but since my daughter is only having a small get together with a few of her friends my sis and bro-in-law asked if they could included my daughter in the party, so it would be joint. Since this is so last minute, the cake has already been planned....a 2 tier round cake, bottom green, top blue, pink ribbon with fondant butterflies and a few small fondant flowers on it. My daughter however (not so girlie) is into peace signs this year. We are making peace sign cupcakes for her get together, but she wants the cake to have something for her on it as well. How do I incorporate the peace signs without taking over my niece's cake? I don't want her to feel like my daughter is taking over (since technically it is her party)!!! Thanks for any help!!!

9 replies
TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 10

Designate one tier for each girl...Not sure how it would flow but maybe using all the same colors in butterflies as you would the peace signs might help...Or much more difficult.... make the cake half and half. I think it would look great if it was highly contrasting in color. For example your nieces half would have the green bottom and blue top with pink ribbon, so make your daughters side black and white! On the white tier have black peace signs and the opposite for the black tier. Add maybe a bright red or yellow ribbon as a border????

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 10

I just finished a dual cake tonight, had me puzzled for awhile too!
Maybe you could put some of the fondant butterflies on the bottom tier and some peace signs on the top tier then if you can paint both butterflies & peace signs on the bow. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Alycat613 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 10

Ok, the half and half cake just totally sold me!!!!!! That is a GREAT idea! I would have never thought of something like that. I can do my niece's in the pinks/blue/green/etc. and then my daughters with black and white, but do the peace signs in the bright red and yellow (her 2 favorite colors)!! Then if the bottom tier is black with yellow peace signs I could do a red ribbon at the bottom and then the top tier white with red peace signs and a yellow ribbon at the bottom of that tier!!! WONDERFUL IDEA!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Alycat613 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #5 of 10

Thanks Babs1964....that is a wonderful idea as well to just combine the two ideas!!! Guess I should talk to my sister to make a final decision?!?! LOL.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:26am
post #6 of 10

I was thinking the same thing. This is the cake that came to mind. I don't feel as if there is a need to cut the cake down the middle.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1812059

I think your color scheme is great. I would think about making some kind of border down the make a line dividing the cake and do half one design and half the other.
But that's just me, it's an idea, not necessarily a good one.

Good Luck!

Alycat613 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 10

Tokazodo...that is the exact cake that came to mind. I remember seeing it a while back and not being so sure about it at first, but then staring at it and deciding I liked it. When TheBakingNurse suggested it that was exactly what my mind went to and I started sketching away. I am trying to sell my sister on it now....she's not so sure!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 10

I love the Shrek Cake! (loved shrek, i'm a kid at heart)

Just tell your sister if she doesn't like it, she can rotate the cake 180* and not have to look at it!

It will be the talk of the town of you make a cake like that!

I have a small layer in my photos, someone asked me to do a similar thing. It surprised the heck out of me, but a few people here on cc actually like it!

Just Do It!

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 10

Your very welcome...I would love to see pics when it is complete

Alycat613 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 10

I really want to do it!!! Seems like my sister may be coming around to the idea, so hopefully I can continue to sell it and go with it. I think it will be fun and a neat way to incorporate the 2 girls! I will definitely be posting pictures when it is done!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%