Three Layers

Decorating By Torilee Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 2:04am by all4cake

Torilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torilee Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 5

Hi I was wondering if I needed to use supports in just a three layer cake? Its not going to be part of a tiered cake or anything just the three layers alone. Thanks for any help in advance.

Victoria

4 replies
lyndya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndya Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

No need for supports in single tier. I do 5 and 6 layers per tier and don't use supports unless I am stacking.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

I don't know if your three-layer cake is a small 6" or a full sheet cake, but I'd suggest using skewers/dowels (not for support, but to help prevent the layers from sliding) even if you aren't transporting it anywhere. It could potentially slip moving it from your turntable to your kitchen table!

Torilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torilee Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for all replies. I didn't think to include the size of my cake and its a 14in hexagon cake. Thanks for any input again guys. This site is truly a life saver.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #5 of 5

When making taller tiers, I'll insert a cake board 1/2 way up (3-2" layers split becomes 6-1" layers...board after 3-1" layers then the remaining 3-1" layers) mostly for ease of serving...taller tiers would require larger dessert plates...they would hang off, or darn close, the edge of the average dessert plate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%