Help Making My Fondant Smooth.

Decorating By mckimscake Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 1:02pm by springlakecake

mckimscake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 11

I have a problem when I am putting fondant on my cake, it never stays smooth. Where the cake layers meet and the filling is it always bulges there. Does anyone know how to pervent that.

10 replies
phoufer Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 11

Best tip I ever got was from Leah's. Torte and fill your cakes, wrap in plastic wrap then place ceramic tile on top and let sit overnight. This weight will level your cake, next day trim excess cake/filling, then crumb coat and ice as you normally would then put on fondant. It works like a charm! HTH

cdgleason Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 11

I think it's common problem for a lot of cake decorators to have the same problems as you've mentioned!!
I have been dealing with those problems for a couple years!

I've asked SO many questions and done SO much research and I've learned quite a bit from experienced decorators!
The first thing is that the cakes need to rest, and by this I mean: after I put the filling between the layers, I wrap the cake in plastic wrap, refrigerate over night and place some of weight on top, even if it's just a plate or a book.. that alone seems to help me out tremendously!
after I remove the cake from the refrigerator, I trim the sides if necessary (if there are any areas that can't be nice and smooth with the buttercream layer) THEN I crumb coat, smooth, then put the top layer of frosting on, then apply fondant!
another thing that a very well known decorator told me: Make sure I pipe a thick butter cream dam around the outer edge of the cake! that helped me out a bunch! and... too much filling can cause the bulging between the layers!

zespri Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 11

Hi cdgleason, good tips! I am confused about refrigerating the cake though, I thought that was a big no-no? I read on here all the time that you should never refrigerate cakes, that they should be left on the counter. Are there exceptions in some ocassions?

cdgleason Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 11

sorry for the confusion!
when I bake my cakes, I like to let them set for at least 6 hours before I even go near them!! Most times, I will lightly cover them in a plastic wrap.. I prefer to let them set over night... then, after I level the cake, I use a stiff buttercream dam, then fill them! I don't put anything else on, no crumb coat, etc....they get wrapped in plastic wrap and go straight into the frig with a light weight/book etc.
some of my fillings are cream based, so they have to be refrigerated. I like to keep them in the frig for several hours, or over night, I think it helps make the cake more solid and less likely to become distored during the decoration process!
If my house isn't too warm, and I'm using a filling that doesn't need refrigeration, I will just cover them lightly with plastic after filling them, put some sort of weight on them, set aside, then work on them later!

there's a discussion going on right now about refrigerating fondant cakes, looks like most people here on CC will refrigerate their cakes, fondant, buttercream etc.... I do, with no problems. I think the problems can occur when there's extreme heat or humidity when you pull the cake out of the frig and condensation leaves the fondant wet.
after I take the cake out of the frig, that's usually when I make my buttercream! that gives me enough time for the cake to come to room temp! {just noticed that you're in New Zealand, that may make a difference in how to work with your cake after refrigeration} If you see the condensation on your fondant after it comes out of refrigeration, I know that you're NOT supposed to touch it UNTIL it's come to room temperature!
hope that helps!! ~~ cindy

mckimscake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks I will give those idea`s a try.

mbark Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #7 of 11

so weird because I never let my cakes "rest" and have never had any problems with bulging...

cdgleason Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:07am
post #8 of 11

I have a little picture tutorial on my flickr page.
go to flickr.com and in the search area you type in
"cake in progress how to decorate a birthday cake"
that should show you the process a little more clearly.

When I did that photo tutorial, I was crumbcoating the cake before refrigeration, now, I just put it in the frig after filling!

cdgleason Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:12am
post #9 of 11
mckimscake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:46am
post #10 of 11

Thank you so much cdgleason. The flickr.com was very helpful. Thanks

springlakecake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 11

you need a stiff dam of buttercream (if it is american buttercream) and let hte cake settle for several hours if possible. I have never had a problem with a meringue buttercream settling, so I don't even bother. Also I will put a plug in for sugarshacks DVD's. I think she covers that in the fondant video or maybe the buttercream one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%