I Hate You Mr. Vanilla Cupcake!!!!

Baking By texastj Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm by Melvira

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 21

You're either have a gummy top, tough texture, peel away from your liner, beautiful dome only while in the oven then you sink in the middle once out, bland taste, or just missing that special something.  Why do I put up with you, especially when chocolate taste SOOOOO much better?

P.S.  You may have won these battles, but I'm gonna win the war!  I will not give up without a fight!   

BTW, I call you Mister, because only a man could be this difficult to work with ;p

Stats:
WIN - 0 
LOSS - 6

*just venting*  

20 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 21

I am a scratch and box baker, Trader Joes has a great vanilla box mix. Give it a try. They also have a new line of chocolate and yellow box mixes. I have only tried the chocolate and it is amazing.

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 21

I feel your vanilla cupcake pain icon_sad.gif . I have had the same experiences. I've tried scratch and box and each one seems to have a different problem. I love a good vanilla cupcake so I am continuing the search. I will try Trader Joe's next.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 21

I agree with everything you stated. I have yet to find a recipe I am happy with.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastj

BTW, I call you Mister, because only a man could be this difficult to work with ;p  

icon_lol.gif This cracked me up!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 21

Mister Vanilla Cupcake is being a total, self absorbed jerk! He needs to learn how to treat a lady, or he's going to find himself living on the curb. Don't give up honey... once you figure him out, he'll totally be worth the effort. icon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 21

I get perfect cupcakes everytime using this doctored recipe:

1 BC white or vanilla mix
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 package instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
Water called for by mix
Oil called for by mix

I place all the wet ingredients in the bottom of the bowl to my KA, place sieve on top of bowl and sift all the dry into the bowl. Beat and bake at 325º Remove cupcakes from pan and place on cooling rack IMMEDIATLY after removing from the oven.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 21

ap- all purpose? just checking to make sure lol

kansaslaura Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 21

Yep! All Purpose--sorry, I should have spelled it out. icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 21

Now don't be hating on poor Mister Vanilla Cupcake! He's fussy and finicky but well worth the trouble. icon_lol.gif I've been using this recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/WhiteCupcakes.html

I usually substitute buttermilk for the milk and add a scraped vanilla bean.

14September Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
14September Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 21

Cakeythings - the joy of baking recipe uses separated eggs, not something I have done before, does the whisked white really make a difference?
Also, I see the sugar is granulated - I usually use caster - does it stay crunchy or does it dissolve easily?

I agree with the original poster on theis thread - it is so hard to find a vanilla recipe that actually tastes fabulous and not just plain spongey!!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14September

Cakeythings - the joy of baking recipe uses separated eggs, not something I have done before, does the whisked white really make a difference?
Also, I see the sugar is granulated - I usually use caster - does it stay crunchy or does it dissolve easily?

I agree with the original poster on theis thread - it is so hard to find a vanilla recipe that actually tastes fabulous and not just plain spongey!!

Well now, I can't say for sure that the beaten egg whites make a difference, because I haven't tried mixing this particular cake any other way. But that sounds like a fun experiment for me to try! I've never used caster sugar in cakes...only cookies...but the cake does not turn out crunchy!

This recipe by Dorie Greenspan also makes a nice cupcake (from her recipe for tiramisu cake)

http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/3017

I've made them into tiramisu cupcakes also, but the base cake was so yummy, that my family has asked for "just the buttery cake part."

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastj

You're either have a gummy top, tough texture, peel away from your liner, beautiful dome only while in the oven then you sink in the middle once out, bland taste, or just missing that special something. �Why do I put up with you, especially when chocolate taste SOOOOO much better?

P.S. �You may have won these battles, but I'm gonna win the war! �I will not give up without a fight! ��

Stats:
WIN - 0�
LOSS - 6

*just venting* �

I LOVE reading a post written with a sense of humor!

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:14am
post #14 of 21

Kansaslaura
The half package of instant pudding in your recipe, does that mean half a large package or the small package?

kansaslaura Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #15 of 21

Half of the small 4 serving size.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:38am
post #16 of 21

For how long do you bake them, Kansas? Toothpick test, or springy touch test or something else?
Thanks.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:28am
post #17 of 21

Texastj...You're gonna fit in well here..LOL..You made me laugh....

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:44am
post #18 of 21

LOL! you are so funny and what you said about men is completely true!.... icon_lol.gif

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #19 of 21

It's always my Mr. Chocolate cupcakes that give me fits. they are the ones that sink in the middle etc.. and drive me insane....!

my vanilla always are fine...

i use the WASC recipe for my cupcakes and have never had a problem...

good luck finding one that works!!!
any suggestions for chocolate!?!?

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:48am
post #20 of 21

WOW!!!! Thanx ladies for your comments and for putting a smile on my face. I really needed that.

Melvira for a minute there I forgot we were talking about cupcakes icon_lol.gif

Thanx Kansaslaura and Cakeythings for sharing your recipes. And lolobell, I use the Hershey's Perfect chocolate cake recipe. Comes out perfect every time.

My great search will continue. I'm sure that special cupcake is out there just waiting for me to find him. And once I do, I will devour him piece by piece and maybe just maybe smoke a cigarette after I'm done. icon_lol.gif

HAPPY BAKING EVERYONE!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 21

Hehehe... "Do you smoke after baking, baby?" Well, yah, but only if I burn it! Why do I hear that in Austin Power's voice in my head? icon_lol.gif

I believe there is a limit to how long the perfect vanilla cupcake can allude you. You're closing in on him fast. Let's just hope when you find him... he's not attracted to other vanilla cupcakes. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%