Hard Cookies

Baking By JustGettinStarted Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 12:08am by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 3

As a cookie forum, you are likely to have seen this question before, but I can't find a post about it in my quick search. So, here's my question:

What make a cookie become hard after cooling? Am I over-baking? They are so nice, soft, and gooey fresh from the oven, but after 5-10 minutes out of the oven, they are crunchy hard. Help! TIA!

2 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 3

it could be the recipe. I've found that cookies made with butter/margarine tend to be more crispy than those made with shortening or oil. Not always ... just in general.

You also could be overbaking them. I just hate crunchy cookies of any kind so mine are always soft. When removed from the oven, mine also look underdone, but they cool to a nice soft texture.

I employ the finger-poke test. while in the oven, i poke the side of the cookie with my finger. when it feels "just" set, they are done, even if they dont' look totally done on top. I have a few cookies that if they even get a hint of browning on the edge or bottoms, then they go straight from oven to trash.

Remember that cookies continue to bake if they remain on the hot cookie sheet. So sometimes I would let them sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two ... and sometimes I'd get them the heck off of there right away! Depends on the cookie and the recipe.

JustGettinStarted Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 3

Debi, thank you so much! You know, I always get excited when I see you've responded to something. I just love you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%