Shopping Bag Help?

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm by -K8memphis

jenscreativity Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a shopping bag and it will be small enough to feed 5 ppl. I was wondering with the indented creases on the sides of the bag...what is the BEST technique into fondanting this? Like should I fondant each side separately..OR fondant the whole thing in one peice and work with that? I'm not that great with fondant but want to be,,so I want to know the best way into doing this so it don't tear on me, on the sharp corners and in the indentation??
Please help me!

Thanks so much!

10 replies
Rosiepan Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 11

If youur bag is only going to feed 5 people you may be abble to cover it in one. The purse bag I did I did the side panels seperately and added a rope of paste along the seam

Not sure if that is a help to you.

jenscreativity Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 11

Thank you rosiepan..but my sides of cake would be indented like a shopping bag,,,so that is where I need help in. Is there anyone else out there that can help me with this PLEASE? THanks !

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 11

I would make a pattern out of a real bag and cut your fondant out--you can make creases with the other end of a thin paint brush or with a pointy dowel--just run the instrument over the place you want a crease and then actually fold it over a bit to firm it up--so make your creases and form it into the bag and let it dry a bit to set up and just fill it with 5 pieces of cake.

jenscreativity Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 11

so use an actual bag/template, then wrap fondant around it on how I want it, then let it dry, and add the cake pieces inside of it? What if the cake pieces have a filling and frosting on it then? How can I put inside if all of that is on? Sorry,,just trying to figure it out.

lyndya Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 11

I just covered each side separately, sealed the edges, and used a straight edge to crease the 'folds'. see pic of box and bag in my photos, sorry, tried to attach and failed.

jenscreativity Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 11

lyndya : thank did you get your tissue paper to look so good? What did you use and how did you do it please?

Also, so when I do each side seperately..then I should be able to smooth out the corners and indentation right?

madgeowens Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 11

I would stack cakes for as high as you want the bag, then cover with fondant leaving a edge at the top above the cake edge and then roll thin fondant for tissue paper

jenscreativity Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #9 of 11

that's great too! How can I get the tissue paper to shine up like pink tissue paper?

lyndya Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:02am
post #10 of 11

jen, I used gumpaste, just cut into odd shapes, shaped them by hand. You can use any household item to shape and bend them over until they begin to dry. Then used airbrush with gold shimmer color. You can use luster dust and brush on instead. Then just press them easily into buttercream. L.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 11

All these ideas are great.

What I meant was since you only need 5 servings--find a bag the size you want. Take it apart so it will lay flat. Use that as your pattern for the fondant. Make the 'crease' marks using the edge of the other end of a skinny paint brush--not holding it like a pen--but holding it like you hold a knife so the edge of it marks the surface with your crease.

But I would also work some cornstarch into my fondant so it will hold --or use tylose powder if you have any. It needs some stiffening added.

Maybe find a box the right size so you can put the bag on it to dry. So it stays open while it dries.

There's tons of ways to do this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%