Red Fondant Help!!! Please!!!!

Decorating By DadsTreasure Updated 10 Nov 2010 , 3:49am by Cake4U2

DadsTreasure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DadsTreasure Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys I really need help! I'm trying to make my parents anniversary cake today and I'm trying to get a solid red but its coming out in this weird pasty color. I'm 14 so I can't drive around to the store and get what I need...All I have are basic food colorings. Help!!! (btw I need the cake done by tonight so something quick would help!)

5 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 6

Red deepens after a while so what may look pasty now will darken. If you are using regular food coloring and not gel food coloring, that will likely affect the texture of your fondant as well since most store bought food colorings have a lot of water in them. Water and fondant don't mix very well...it will melt. I learned to buy red fondant rather than make my own. MUCH easier!!

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

Red fondant is really a pain! I haven't found an easy way to get a good red. Some have said to try making it a deep pink first and then color red. This lets you use less red thus avoiding the bad taste that the food coloring has. Sorry I wasn't much help.

If you could tell us what your decorating like maybe we can make some suggestions!

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 6

if it's marshmallow fondant that you are making, then adding strawberry jello in with the melted marshmallows (before adding the sugar) and mixing really good till it's dissolved is a good start. Then use a red gel (no taste gel is the best) till you get the colour you want. This is what I did and it worked really well. I made the fondant a few days ahead and each day I added more colouring to it and when it came time to use it, it was an awesome red colour (don't forget to coat it in shortening before wrapping it really well with saran wrap). Also helps to add a tsp of light corn syrup to the melted marshmallows too (keeps it from crumbling and that) I actually got this method from someone here, can't remember who though (if I remembered I would give them credit for it, cuz it's the best I've tried!)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

Sorry... I just noticed the title says "fondant" and I had given advice for BC, so I deleted my response.

Cake4U2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4U2 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 6

The Elite Candy Apple Red is a really great red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%