Best Fondant Suggestions

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 2:48am by idgalpal

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

I started out making my own MMF until business picked up. I like that homemade MMF doesn't dry out quickly but I don't find it very elastic. I started buying Satin Ice. At first it was okay, except for the fact that you must work quickly with it if you don't want elephant skin, but it did have great elasticity. The last few batches, 20lb white and 5lb colors, have been cracking and tearing on me no matter how fast I work or thin I roll it. Actually wrote Satin Ice and they were nice enough to send me a free 20lb white. They explained that they bought and implemented new equipment and in turn had to change the recipe which made the fondant act differently but, they have since fixed the problem. I disagree w/them on fixing problem because the bucket they sent plus the ones I've purchased since still perform the same.

I would like to know what fondant others use and how it works for them. Most of the cakes I do are fondant covered and a lot are sculpted. I've been wary of trying the more expensive brands. I would love to find something that doesn't have a fast drying time and is very elastic.

~Kim

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

I prefer and love to use Jennifer Dontz mixture found on her dvd. In a few weeks or so, I'll be posting several reviews of fondant--still waiting for some others to arrive.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

there's a great DVD by Jennifer Dontz called "tasty way to perfect fondant" {Not sure if that's the exact title} but Jennifer has recipe for fondant that I have found to be invaluable.
She adds a white chocolate mixture to standard fondant, I think she uses Pettinice, but I couldn't buy that brand so I use Satin Ice..... the recipe leaves the fondant more silky, and gives you more working time....and NO elephant skin!!!
Before I bought the DVD, I would lose sleep at the thought of covering a cake in fondant, it would ALWAYS be wrinkley and pucker at the base of each layer icon_sad.gif
after buying the DVD, I feel pretty good about covering my cakes in fondant... and I'm just a hobby decorator!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

I think FondX is more elastic and dries less fast than Satin Ice...and its only a few dollars more but not nearly like the high end stuff, especially if you get it on sale. I also think it tastes MUCH nicer than Satin Ice.

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #5 of 6

kim, why did u quit making mmf? i have always found mmf to be very elastic, sometimes too much so! but i have to say i just recently bought duffs fondant (black, i didnt want to mess with trying to get the color!) and wow! i was very impressed! its a dream to work with!! i havent worked with any others than those 2, but i would definately recommend duffs. taste to me is about the same, but its very smooth.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:48am
post #6 of 6

I love Chocopan. I've used Duff's for accent pieces when I have a 40% coupon at Michael's because I feel it's pretty expensive, but I do like the colors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%