Satin Ice Fondont Nightmare

Decorating By robinmarie Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm by pinkpiggie78

robinmarie Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 3

\\I have a wedding cake due on Sunday. Its a 4 tier. I ordered a 20lb Satin Ice Fondont. Well when I went to cover the cake and roll out the fondont it was dry. I tried to add a little shortening to get some moisture back in, but as soon as I covered the cake it looked like alligator skin and a lot of little dry spots all over. I do have a lot of decorations yet to put on it so hopefully it wont look as bad as I think.

Has anyone have this problem from Satin Ice and what did you do to make the fondont work for you? Was it a bad batch or was it me?

2 replies
huskerfan Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 3

I just ordered orange and dark chocolate and used them yesterday and they both did that. I ordered a 20 lb bucket for a wedding cake coming up and am dreading using it.......

pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 3

There are several threads about this lately. I believe the makers of SI got new equipment which somehow caused a lot of bad batches to be produced. I had a 5lb white pail that was a disaster, and a 5lb red pail that worked like a charm.

One of the suggestions made in the other thread was to mix in another brand of fondant to make the SI useable. I had some fondariffic on hand and mixed that in and it worked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%