How Long Before Wedding Reception Starts Do You Deliver Cake

Decorating By bakescupcakes Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm by bakescupcakes

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:31am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I would really love some advice. I'm doing a cupcake tower, buttercream will be used (with butter), and reception is air conditioned so I'm sure the cupcakes will be fine for quite some time.

This is a first for me so I would really appreciate it if you could share your tips/experiences. How long before the reception starts do you deliver and set up? ie can you deliver in the morning even though the reception won't start until early evening?

9 replies
bakescupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:36am
post #2 of 10

oops, I think I've posted this in the wrong area. I think it should be under general, not quite sure how to move it.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:59am
post #3 of 10

The cupcake wedding that I did, I delivered about an hour before the reception. I would check with the reception hall to see how early you could bring the cupcakes and set them up. Most of the halls that I have worked with want you there an hour or two before because they are still busy setting the room up.

I have only done two weddings so hopefully the seasoned CC'ers weigh in too. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 10

My general rule of thumb for delivering is two hours before the wedding. The only variable is when highly perishables are used I deliver an hour before the reception begins.

I would be uncomfortable delivering earlier than that. I like to be sure I kind of tag team with the responsible person--I deliver to the cake table that I have advised them to have ready first so it does not impede my delivery. If I were to deliver earlier than that, some well intentioned person may start thinking too much & want to move it or frige it and I want to avoid that kind of thing.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 10

I have the delivery time in the contract, so in my case the bride sets it. I then confirm the week of... in most cases it is an hour or two before the reception is to big, unless the reception and the ceremony are taking place in the same location, then it is an hour or two before the ceremony starts.

I do mostly buttercream (with butter) cakes and I just make sure the cake is well chilled before it leaves my hands.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 10

I generally like to deliver when the couple is getting ready to walk down the aisle. Like today for example...my couple is getting married at 4:30 with reception to immediately follow. So, I will deliver around 3:45-4 p.m. because I know they will busy at the Church getting ready (along with their guests). That will give me at least a full 1 1/2 hours before any guest would show up. I don't care to deliver cakes with everyone standing around watching me. I much prefer to have time to walk around the cake and inspect it fully before anyone else arrives.
There are times that I will deliver even earlier because I have multiple deliveries scheduled for that day. As long as nothing is perishable...it will hold up in the reception hall just as good as in my kitchen.
Have fun!

p.s. When I do a cupcake tower it takes longer to assemble and complete at the reception site than a 3 or 4 tier cake that I take pre assembled. So, give yourself time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 10

Another consideration if possible is to allow enough time to make a round trip to home base & back to allow for any potential emergencies.

I like to deliver early enough to be safe and early enough for the bride to be assured all is well --- I don't want her to panic if I cut it too close to the ceremony. I want to be perfectly unthought of on that day. Fly under the bridal radar.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 10

My rule of thumb was one hour prior.

If reception was in the same building as the wedding, then it was one hour prior to the wedding start time. If recpetion was at another location, then it was one hour prior to the reception start time.

As someone mentioned above, some cakes ... cupcakes, mini cakes on each table, intricate set-ups ..... could take longer, so factor that in when setting a delivery time.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My rule of thumb was one hour prior.

If reception was in the same building as the wedding, then it was one hour prior to the wedding start time. If recpetion was at another location, then it was one hour prior to the reception start time.

As someone mentioned above, some cakes ... cupcakes, mini cakes on each table, intricate set-ups ..... could take longer, so factor that in when setting a delivery time.

Ditto Debi. My plan is 1 - 2 hours before the event starts there, wedding or reception. Since I use SPS, I deliver my cakes already stacked. If I am putting flowers on or delivering cupcakes, I'll give myself a little extra time. I don't want it to be out too long and I don't want to cut myself too short. I only had one exception. I was going out of town but the bride really wanted me to do her wedding cake. We delivered the cake around noon but a 7:00 reception. I hated doing it but it was ok with the bride and I knew the cake would be fine.

bakescupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much everyone for your replies and advise. Your experience and wealth of knowledge is greatly appreciated!
I was feeling more nervous about setting up at an appropriate time than actually making the cupcakes! But now I'm feeling alot better about the whole thing. You've all pointed me in the right direction. Thank you icon_biggrin.gif . icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%