Black Fondant

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 4:50am by stampinron

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 8

Ok so I've recently discovered that my "black" wilton's gel coloring verrrry closely favors purple! What's up with that?? I've been mixing in brown and eventually I get a black... anyway.... I remember reading on here that someone used chocolate icing or fondant and dyed it black. They said this was easier and that you didn't have to add as much black?? but i very well could have read it wrong icon_razz.gif

so can anyone vouch for that? what do you think? if i make marshmallow fondant, throw in a couple of baker's chocolate squares and then start mixing in black food coloring, do i have a shot or is there a chance it'll look like poop?

7 replies
CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 8

I have yet to try the black mmf with chocolate but that is how I make my black buttercream. I start with chocolate buttercream and add a little black powder food coloring and then, some Wilton black. I did hear that americolor is a better brand than Wilton.So, I'll try that next time. Let me know how it works out for you. icon_smile.gif

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 8

Americolor works great with MMF

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 8

I haven't yet tried MMF, but I always add cocoa powder to my fondant and work it in before doing black. Gives it a very yummy taste and make it much easier to get a true black with less coloring.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 8

Whenever I need large quantities of black fondant for a cake, I always make chocolate MMF first. I'll add my recipe below (makes a good amount, so I'll often halve it with no issues).

16 oz mini marshmallows
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp water

2 lb powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder

Melt your marshmallows in the microwave, add the chips in while you're melting. Get them nice and melty and smooth. Add your black coloring right to the melty mallows. Pour into your sifted powdered sugar/cocoa and either use your mixer with dough hook, or blend by hand with a wooden spoon.

You may not need all the powdered sugar, so I'd save a cup or so on the side and add in if necessary. If the fondant is especially dry, sometimes I'll add a touch more water. Then just knead the fondant til it's smooth, give it a light coating of shortening and wrap in plastic wrap.

I can't promise that it'll work perfectly for you, but I've had fair results. Black fondant is tough, no matter what method you use, unless you can buy it precolored.

Best of luck!

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:47am
post #6 of 8

thank yall so much!! i'm trying it as we speak!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:11am
post #7 of 8

Great! Let me know how it works out!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

It truely does work.
Used it several times.
Still takes about 1/2 a bottle to 3/4 bottle of the wilton gel but that is not bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%