Bride Changed The Date Of Wedding And Forgot To Tell Me!

Business By sew4children Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 1:00am by Vanessa7

sew4children Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 18

Looks like I am going to be up all night making a wedding cake. I have had a signed contract from my customer for over six months. The contract states 11/13. The bride called me today to find out what time I would be delivering TOMORROW! I explained the situation, she profusely apologized and accepted blame. Thankfully I had a slow week with cakes. Unfortunately, my son has a wrestling tournament and I was in charge of the hospitality room/concession stand. My eyes are refusing to stay open and I have my last pan in the oven. Still have to frost, fondant and decorate. Not sure how I am going to make it through the night.

17 replies
Cake_Karen Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #2 of 18

Oh my goodness. Good luck!!!

Kellbella Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 18

Oh you are an angel...I would have told her tough luck icon_mad.gif I would have made cuppies instead of the whole cake....I hope you get it done ( I know you will) make a pot of coffee and turn on the radio!

G_Cakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 18

I would definately make sure bride knows there is extra charge for the "RUSH" order since she forgot to let you know the date has changed!

You are a better person than I am cause I would have said so sorry and sent her packing and looking for another cake!!!

Good luck and hope you keep your eyes open long enough to finish the job icon_smile.gif

Vanessa7 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:02am
post #5 of 18

OMG! What a nightmare for you! Hats off to you for agreeing to go ahead and make the cake early. I agree with Kellbella, loud radio with upbeat music and strong coffee are in order for the night. Hope it's an evening wedding! Good luck and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 18

Wow you are SO nice!!!! I wouldn't have been able to pull that off, I don't think! If I did, I'd definitely be charging alot of extra money!

elliespartycake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:09am
post #7 of 18

Wow, I would absolutely tell her that there will be a rush charge. She doesn't need to know it's a "slow week". She needs a cake; she failed to inform you of the date change and you should not have to suffer because of her mistake.

You are a good person, and very nice bout all this. Good luck and I'm sure your get it done and it'll be beautiful. Sometimes we do our best work under pressure.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 18

That totally sucks and wow are you going the extra mile!

My little bride had to be over 70--we got everything all settled months in advance--day of the wedding someone called & asked where the cake was. I said, it's a 7PM wedding, it'll be there at 5PM. She said they're at the altar right now (like 1PM) please hurry.

My bride forgot to tell me they moved it back to an afternoon wedding. I was an a$$ because I gave her a withering look when I arrived because it was to a full blown cake deficit reception and I was pissed. But I shoulda never done that--give her the evil eye--we all got over it. It did take me a while but... icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:04am
post #9 of 18

omgosh icon_sad.gif one word: no-doz. Wrote so many papers in college at 4 am thanks to the power of that little pill...and it really didn't leave me too bad off in the morning.

Good luck!!

costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:19am
post #10 of 18

Oh holy cow...I don't know that I would have done it, but I probably would have. I once had a girl change her date on me too, but luckily it was from the Saturday to the following Sunday. I showed up with the cake and they told me that her wedding was tomorrow icon_mad.gif

What I do now (which you might want to start doing, just a suggestion) is to send every bride a sheet listing all the details of the reception time, date, location, cake flavors, decorations, etc. about 6 weeks before the wedding. I ask them to send it back to me with the balance due. That way I can change anything that needs to be changed, and I also have a record that they did approve everything that I think is right!

Good luck staying awake icon_sad.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:49am
post #11 of 18
Originally Posted by -K8memphis was to a full blown cake deficit reception...

What is a "cake deficit reception"?

indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:03am
post #12 of 18

happened to me and they ended up with no cake.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I was doing it as a freebie. I was dealing strictly with the groom (bride was a mail order bride from Russia .... a whole 'nuther story in itself!) and as I literally walking out the door of my shop to deliver a wedding cake, he called to ask "where's my cake?" I told him I would be making his cake next weekend.

Him: "Oh. Didn't you get my email changing it to this weekend?"
Me: "No ... did you get a confirmation back saying that the date change was confirmed?"
Him: No.
Me: My files show its for next weekend.

He had sent it to my hotmail email (for some god-unknown-reason!) instead of my office email. At that time, I only checked my hotmail about twice a month, just to keep it active.

So....I told him, "I'm on my way to deliver another cake and I just don't have yours on hand. There is no way I can get you a cake there today."

I dont' know what they ended up doing .....

Love2BakeCakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:29am
post #13 of 18

Wow, you have my blessings on this one for sure. Don't know how I would react in this situation. But knowing me, because it takes a lot for me to back away from a challenge I would probably do my best to attack it. You have my well wishes!

costumeczar Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:28pm
post #14 of 18
Originally Posted by indydebi

So....I told him, "I'm on my way to deliver another cake and I just don't have yours on hand. There is no way I can get you a cake there today."

I dont' know what they ended up doing .....

Probably went on over to Walmart and got one of those awesome tiered cakes for $140. icon_lol.gif

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 18

indy.. mail order bride? would have loved to hear that story!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 18
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Originally Posted by -K8memphis was to a full blown cake deficit reception...

What is a "cake deficit reception"?

The wedding reception was going on in full force without any cake on premise and a bare naked cake table. Cakeless reception. Deficit.

sew4children Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 18

Just to let everyone know, the cake made it to the reception. I told the bride that I would meet her caterer at 1:30. The reception was at the father's house. I pulled in at 1:28. No one was home! Some lady showed up about 10 minutes later. I mentioned something about the caterer and she said that everything was going wrong and running late that day. I put the cake where it belonged, added the topper and RAN! What I really felt bad about what the itty bitty cheap cake topper that was put on top of my beautiful cake. It looked not only too small, but too cheap. Nothing like a $10 cake topper for a $500 cake!

Thanks for all of the well wishes! I crashed Saturday night after only getting two hours sleep on Friday.

Vanessa7 Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:00am
post #18 of 18

Congrats on getting the cake done with 2 minutes to spare! I certainly understand the frustration of a tiny topper adorning your cake (which I'm sure was beautiful!) I would love to see pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%