Fondant Blisters While Rolling

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 1:49am by elliespartycake

cakecraft Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever had their fondant "blister" and pop while rolling it out? Is there a simple solution? Lately I have been having the devil's time covering larger cakes, because as I am rolling it out, blisters appear...kind of like the blow outs that can occur when on the cake.

Am I rolling it too vigorously? Not vigorously enough? Kneading it too much? Not enough? Obviously air is getting trapped but how? icon_cry.gif

I have three cakes in progress, it is 11p.m. and I just poured a glass of wine and signed in here to calm my nerves.....HELP!!!!!

I am using the large Wilton rolling pin and I roll out on vinyl, if this helps....using purchased Dawn Decorice fondant.

3 replies
G_Cakes Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #2 of 4

Hi there....

I have had this happen and find that it's when I over knead the fondant.

The blister is a result of air getting trapped in the fondant as you knead it or roll it out.

I usually take a small pin and prick the blister and then just roll it smooth again with my pin.

I have recently switched to Satin Ice and find I dont have this issue as much.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cakecraft Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #3 of 4

Thanks G-cakes...it does help!
Back at it, I guess (wine's gone) LOL

elliespartycake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 4

Yup, it's air bubbles. Just poke with a pin and keep rolling. I have started using my regular rolling pin (that I use for pie crust, etc.) and it's so much easier than those long thin "fondant" pins like those from Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%