How To Fix A Blow Out?

Decorating By MJ2008 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 12:37am by MJ2008

MJ2008 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 3

I made 3 6-inch cakes today for my best friend's bridal shower tomorrow. Two of the three are doing just fine, but one has had a pretty good blowout. I used a dam, but I guess it wasn't thick. I've never had the filling blow out before. The filling is leaking down the side. I've scraped it off twice now, tried to just fill with regular frosting, but that didn't work. So I mixed my frosting with a ton of extra powdered sugar and tried to fill with that. Nothing is working. It hasn't started leaking down the side yet, but it's showing so I know it's coming.

How can I stop the leak? Do I just have to take everything apart and redo the filling and frosting? Can I shove a piece of fondant in there and stop it? Any ideas? These have to be ready to go by tomorrow morning because the shower is over an hour away so I have to leave early.

Thanks.

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ2008

I've scraped it off twice now, tried to just fill with regular frosting, but that didn't work. So I mixed my frosting with a ton of extra powdered sugar and tried to fill with that. Nothing is working. It hasn't started leaking down the side yet, but it's showing so I know it's coming.

It doesn't sound like a blowout, it sounds like too much filling.

If you removed the filling and just filled with regular frosting, how did that not work? What are you expecting to see leaking down the side if you scraped off the filling?

MJ2008 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:37am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ2008

I've scraped it off twice now, tried to just fill with regular frosting, but that didn't work. So I mixed my frosting with a ton of extra powdered sugar and tried to fill with that. Nothing is working. It hasn't started leaking down the side yet, but it's showing so I know it's coming.

It doesn't sound like a blowout, it sounds like too much filling.

If you removed the filling and just filled with regular frosting, how did that not work? What are you expecting to see leaking down the side if you scraped off the filling?

I removed the filling that was coming out of the side, but it's started leaking again. I filled in the gap with leftover frosting. There really isn't much filling in it. It was less than halfway up the side of the dam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%