Large Isomalt Diamond - Need Help!

Decorating By PinkLisa Updated 20 Jun 2014 , 3:09am by Bonne Bouche

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 39

I need to make a large isomalt diamond ring by next weekend. It will be on top a 7" round so needs to be a decent size. I've seen shows make a mold from a glass diamond and then pour in the isomalt but where would I find a glass diamond and which mold materials do I need??? It would have been better if I had more lead time.

Thanks!

38 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 39

Michaels has some pretty large diamond stones over with the floral supplies...but not sure if its too large or not. They are about 4" - 5" across if I remember right. Michaels also has some silicone mold making stuff over with the clay.

PinkLisa Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 39

Kitagirl -- you are a life saver!!! I'll run to Michael's tomorrow to check it out.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 39

I picked up the glass diamond today from Michaels. I was afraid to buy the mold materials since I want to use isomalt which is a high temp. Anyone know which mold material I should buy to make a 3D isomalt diamond? Thanks!

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I picked up the glass diamond today from Michaels. I was afraid to buy the mold materials since I want to use which is a high temp. Anyone know which mold material I should buy to make a 3D diamond? Thanks!

Silicone is always heat resistant. The mold making stuff at Michaels makes food safe molds.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 39

I found two mold making kits at Michales. One was like putty which I didn't think would work to pour Isomalt into.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 39

The other one was good at temps up to 300.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 39

The one I got was like two jars of putty you mix together and make a mold out of. Its silicone and I have used it with isomalt with no problems at all. It will take a lot of it to make a mold of the large diamond though.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 39

Thanks Kitagrl for all your help. Any idea how to use that to pour isomalt into to make the 3D mold? If I make molds for the two halves of the diamond, how will I pour the Isomalt and have it now seep out? If I completely cover the glass dimond how would I get it out of the mold -- lol? Sorry I sound so clueless.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Thanks Kitagrl for all your help. Any idea how to use that to pour into to make the 3D mold? If I make molds for the two halves of the diamond, how will I pour the and have it now seep out? If I completely cover the glass dimond how would I get it out of the mold -- lol? Sorry I sound so clueless.

Well I've only used isomalt a couple times haha so I'm not really sure!!!! You may have to play around with it..... I'm new to it as well.

fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 39

Hobby Lobby also has 2 different sizes of glass diamonds in case you didn't find the right size at Michaels. They are usually at the "impulse-buying" area near the registers!

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 39

I found the perfect sized diamond but now just have to figure out how to make a mold.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 39

Since no one is going to bite into an isomalt diamond that big....Have you considered making a gumpaste band for the faux diamond you have???

I mean they wouldnt eat the cake topper would they?? So, maybe you could save some time and money and use the diamond you have.....Just a thought

good Luck!

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 39

nancyg -- that's a good idea but I really like the idea of a sugar diamond.

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 39

Hi PinkLisa,

Here is a step by step on how to make a diamond mold. This appeared in CakeCentral magazine in the April/May issue.

I would not recoomend that you use a putty silicone for this project. The materials you buy at Micheals cure very quickly which will make it difficult for you to make an accurate mold. Most importantly, a diamond of the size you want to make creates alot of pressure inside the mold when poured. Hot sugar seeping out of your mold can be very disappointing and dangerous.

Hope You Enjoy the Tutorial,

Dominic

Imageicon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 39

Hi, isn,t dominic the best . He always comes through!!

PinkLisa Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 39

WOW!! Thank you very much Dominic! I will try this but am unsure if I can get everything for my Friday cake. I made one with the putty mold at Michels which was okay. I just left the top open (the flat part). I followed your instructions for Isomalt and still got a slight yellow color. The only thing I didn't do is use distilled water. I'm going to get some today and try it again. I'll got check out your website and see how soon I can get the materials. If not for this cake, I definitely want to perfect this technique for a future cake. Thanks!!!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 39

great tutorial!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 39

Thanks for the tutorial Chef! It's awesome the way you make it look sooooo simple.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 39

Jobueno, lyndim, PinkLisa, icer101,

My Pleasure, I'm always glad to help out.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 39

Awesome tutorial, thank you!!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:45pm
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOM-Dominic

Hi PinkLisa,

Here is a step by step on how to make a diamond mold. This appeared in CakeCentral magazine in the April/May issue.

I would not recoomend that you use a putty silicone for this project. The materials you buy at Micheals cure very quickly which will make it difficult for you to make an accurate mold. Most importantly, a diamond of the size you want to make creates alot of pressure inside the mold when poured. Hot sugar seeping out of your mold can be very disappointing and dangerous.

Dominic

I was looking for information on how to make a sugar diamond mold and came across this thread. I saw that you provided a tutorial, but I was not able to view it. Is there another way you can send me the tutorial, perhaps to my email or a PM through CC? Anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated.

Crystal

CakeCrystals Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOM-Dominic

Hi PinkLisa,

Dominic

I was looking for information on how to make a sugar diamond mold and came across this thread. I saw that you provided a tutorial, but I was not able to view it. Is there another way you can send me the tutorial, perhaps to my email or a PM through CC? Anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated.

Crystal

MYOM-Dominic Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 39

CakeCrystals,

Sorry about the delay, I hope you don't think I forgot about you. I was getting the tutorial ready for my website, so that it could be accessed with ease. Its ready and online now, so feel free to take a look and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
It can be found here, how to make a diamond mold

I hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeCrystals Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #25 of 39

Thanks Dominic and no, I didn't think that you forgot me, I know how busy you are.

Thanks so much for this tutorial. It will be a great tool for my cake arsenal. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

One more question. Will you be making this into a kit?

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:36pm
post #26 of 39

Hot damn! I never seen that one before!!! I will bite that one off and make one too! Nice one Dominic! icon_smile.gif

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:20am
post #27 of 39

OMG Chef! I made a few diamond molds! They came out so hot! This is so simple to make! Awesome mold to have!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 17 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #28 of 39

slice of heaven website has a large silicone mold you can buy. I bought mine for 12.99 and it was way easier than making a mold myself. It was really easy to do.

Bonne Bouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonne Bouche Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:04pm
post #29 of 39

Silicone Zone makes a large diamond mold that you can safely pour isomalt in.  It takes about 12 hours to harden enough to remove but it comes out easily and is quite attractive.  Except for one small detail-- you have to pour through a hole in the top and I keep getting a circle in the top from the pour hole.  Ugh.  Still experimenting-- don't know if I need less or more isomalt in the mold.

Bonne Bouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonne Bouche Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:09pm
post #30 of 39

So happy to see your post.  I bought a mold as you described.  It has a pour hole in the top of the mould, which is leaving a circle in the top of the diamond.  Do I need less or more isomalt in the mould to eliminate that?  I'm new to isomalt and this is all so fascinating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%