Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies?

Baking By springlakecake Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm by dc_honeybee

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 15

I normally only make cookies at christmas time and I have been pretty happy with the NFSC. But I think I'd like to take it up a notch with a cookie that tastes a little better, but I still want it to perform like the NFSC. Just wondering if anyone has had success with cream cheese cookies (taste and holding shape?) I also saw a recipe for white chocolate cut out cookies, that sounds interesting too!

14 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 15

no clue but those sound yummy!!!!!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 15

I have not tried a cream cheese cutout cookie, but the white chocolate one sounds great! May I ask where you found that one? I would love to give it a try if possible.

springlakecake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 15
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 15

This recipe is from Jeri Dry & Alix Engel's genius book Cookiemania.

My motto is if a little is good a lot is better icon_biggrin.gif But I have to reign myself in and measure the orange zest and the cinnamon on point because these cookies are magic as written. When I've gone overboard they lost that special chemistry.

Cream Cheese Butter Cookies

<combine and mix well in mixer>
1 cup butter
3 ounces cream cheese

<add the following and mix well>
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt

<add and combine well>
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla

<add the flour combine well>
2.5 cups flour sifted

1/4 inch thick--doesn't have to be chilled
350 degrees -- ungreased cookie sheet 12-15 minutes

Now I like to mix these very lightly after I add the flour because I like a very light textured tender cookie. If you mix it a little bit more at the end after you add the flour it will hold better as a cut out cookie-- an additional minute. And of course if you do go ahead and chill the cut outs before baking it holds better but this formula is brilliant. No icing is necessary.

springlakecake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 15

that sounds delish! thanks! so they do make good cut outs then? (ie I don't like spreading)

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 15

They hold well. They keep their edge but I mean it's cream cheese and butter--it's a tender wonderfully tasting cookie-- it's not an exact replica of how nfsc handles.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 15

I think I got all the typos out. Oooh--found one more --left out the salt! Now it's cool!

springlakecake Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks again!

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 15

I started out with a CC recipe and loved it for many reasons...taste, texture, held shape well. However, I sell my cookies and I am very concerned about breakage. I found that the NFSC holds up a little better in transport (even just bagging and delivering - not to mention shipping).

No doubt they will be delicious and if you chill them well after cutting/before baking, you should have good success with holding shape.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

kittykat416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittykat416 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 3:50am
post #11 of 15

I tried making the white chocolate sugar cookies from Karen's Cookies a couple of times; she indicates on her website that the dought is "a dream to work with", but I found it to be a nightmare! I don't know if I did something wrong, but I found the dough to be very dry & crumbly and hard to roll out. If I were to make them again, I would try reducing the flour to 1&1/2 cups and then add more at the end if needed.

The resulting cookie is also pretty dense - you'll probably want to roll out to less than 1/4 inch thickness if you're going to decorate them....

I know I've tried a couple of sugar cookie recipes with cream cheese before as well, but none of them stand out in my mind (I guess if I wasn't compelled to make them again, they probably weren't that great!)

springlakecake Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 15

thanks for the review!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 15

I've tested all the rollout cookies on Karens website and they all performed well.

I remember the white choclate one was a little difficult to work with as it got colder, I think the chocolate hardens making it extremely stiff. This is one cookie you should roll out immediately after making.

I've made a brown sugar rollout that was pretty good. It might even be on this site, I did post it a year or two ago. I could always check to see if it's still my computer if you are interested.(it was from an old BH&G Christmas Cookie magazine)

I remember the Spice cookie on Karens being my favorite and very tasty. It reminded me of the windmill cookies from when I was little. I made them and then rolled in some sliced almonds. I rolled them very thin and they were great. I didn't decorate them.

springlakecake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 15

thanks for the imput. Maybe I'll try the spice cookies.

I did try the cream cheese cookies posted earlier in this post. I don't think I baked them long enough, they were a little bit dense. I did really like the addition of the orange zest and cinnamon though. i decided to make the NFSC recipe this weekend for an order (I didn't have anymore time to mess around) but I added the orange zest and cinnamon to those. It turned out great!

dc_honeybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dc_honeybee Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 15

I like the cream cheese cookies from the Country Kitchen web site http://www.countrykitchensa.com/whatshot/cookie_cutter_texture_sheets.aspx. It is listed on a card that comes with thier cookie cookie cutter sets and also on the website.

They aren't too sweet which I like because it balances the icing/fondant.

The recipe calls for one packege (3 oz) of cream cheese. The first time I made them I dumped in the whole 8 oz block and had to triple my batch. So that was a lesson in reading! Oops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%