How Do I Do This Type Of Topsy Truvy

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm by Cakegirl313

Cakegirl313 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 6

Okay so I need to know how to get this effect. I know how to do the normal ones but how do I get the cake to stay on when using a wedge? Do I have to dowel the whole thing right down the middle?
Thanks for any help.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=161573

5 replies
weirkd Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

Its called a cake study that Bronwen Weber made. Its a cake stand that is made out of pvc piping that allows the tiers to sit the way they do. There are gaps inbetweens the layers and on that cake they used the fondant to look like paper. Some use flowers to fill it in. Either way, you can get it at Caljava online. And its not cheap!! But if your good at figuring things out or know someone that is, Im sure you can make your own for under $20 by buying the stuff at your local hardware store.

moralna Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Actually, you can do it by using the styro wedges. To keep the cakes on the wedges you ad a little royal icing to the wedge and the bottom of the cake board of the cake that will sit on the wedge. And yes, you dowel right through the center to the bottom.

Karen421 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Its called a cake study that Bronwen Weber made. Its a cake stand that is made out of pvc piping that allows the tiers to sit the way they do. There are gaps inbetweens the layers and on that cake they used the fondant to look like paper. Some use flowers to fill it in. Either way, you can get it at Caljava online. And its not cheap!! But if your good at figuring things out or know someone that is, Im sure you can make your own for under $20 by buying the stuff at your local hardware store.

Weirkd is right, here is what it looks like:

http://www.caljavaonline.com/cakestudy1.htm

mkight Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 6

Sugaredblog also has a tutorial with the styro wedges in her tutorials section (may of 2009). It is very good.

Cakegirl313 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! I will check all the ideas out and see what works best for me. I really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%