Need Help Asap - Thank You!!

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm by TexasSugar

Hillywu Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my cousin's wedding cake. It's a fondant covered cake and on the bottom tier I am piping a beaded border that is several rows of beads, which gradually get smaller as you go up. I figured I should use RI instead of buttercream, but I was just thinking, will the shortening that I rubbed over my constarch marks on the fondant cause the RI to break down in any way? Would I be better off using buttercream? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

No problem whatsover. The shortening has been absorbed by the fondant by now anyway.

millermom Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

I have piped RI directly onto RBC, which is EXTREMELY greasy. I had no problems. It does prevent the RI from drying super hard, which is a good thing on cookies, and probably on your border, as well. (for cutting) But it does dry hard enough for me to stack the cookies with no problems.

Hillywu Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you thank you thank you, Ladies!!!! I really appreciate your help with such short notice!! I will relax and use the RI!!

TexasSugar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 5

Two conventions ago I made the pink and black cake in my photos. I rolled the fondant out on cornstarch but wanted the black to shine and not be dull so I wiped the whole thing down with crisco. And we aren't talking about a small amount.

I thin piped royal icing decorations on each tier. I finally threw the dummies away last month. The royal icing was as hard as when I first did it, never melted or anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%