How I Go About Making A Beehive Cake?

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm by Christina1207

Christina1207 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 6

Exactly as the subject line says How would I go about making a beehive cake? It wouldn't be that tall since it only has to feed maybe 6 to 8 people. It's for my husbands birthday he is a bee keeper

5 replies
sikkink1606 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 6

I used the cake pan from Wilton that you use to make the Barbie dress. Works great-- Search for beehive cakes and all kinds of great cakes come up for inspiration!

CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

If you type "beehive" using the forum search button, there are at least four topics that come up on the first page (not including yours from yesterday).

VickeyC Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 6

Hey Christina. For mine, I baked round cakes, desending in size, I think maybe 9", 8", 7".... then for the very top, I baked in a small pyrex bowl. I really stink at carving a 'sphere', so I always rely on my pyrex bowls. LOL icon_biggrin.gif I just used the normal household type cake pans that are 1 1/2" in depth, because I didn't want a huge amount of cake. I think that I actually used 2 of the 9" for the bottom layer to get the height that I wanted for the door.

However, the next beehive cake that I make, I want to do the more modern type of beehive. I plane to bake a sheet cake and then cut and stack so that it will resemble the white "box" that is used for keeping bees. For the lid of the box, I plan to use a silver dust over the white fondant. HTH thumbs_up.gif

If I can be of further assistance to you, just let me know. icon_smile.gif

mimmablue Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 6

I only recently did a beehive cake... I did a search through the galleries here (heaps came up!) and when I worked out what I wanted to do I asked specific questions here in the forums.

Have fun!

Christina1207 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

CWR41 your right it would be helpful but I am not doing the common beehive type cake. I looked and did not find the info i was looking for. My husband has what is known as a top bar beehive. It looks like V shape when your looking at from the end. Then there are wooden slabs running across the beehive. It's not like the box bee hive that people think of when they think of bee hives that bee keepers use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%