Pound Cake Dried Out When Cooked In Regular Pan

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm by brincess_b

ncsmorris Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 4

I have a fabulous pound cake recipe that I absolutely LOVE, but normally I don't use it for cake decorating. Normally, I just make it in a bundt pan as regular ol' pound cake. But, I had a request for a baby shower cake using pound cake. So I make my recipe, and put it in an 8-inch square cake pan and bake. This cake baked and baked and baked, almost twice as long as it normally bakes in the bundt pan. Finally! The cake was finished cooking, but when I turned it out, the edges were very dry. I refuse to sell the dry cake like this, especially when I know this recipe is really good. So my question is...any tips for making this work a little better? Usually my answer is low and slow when other people have this issue but considering how long it took last night, baking lower and slower is just unbearable. If that's the only way, that's what I'll do, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 4

You need a baking core of some kind in there so it doesn't have to bake in the center.

ncsmorris Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 4

Hmmm ok, I've seen those at the craft store before but I wasn't sure if they actually work. I'll go pick one up today. Thanks!

brincess_b Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 4

you can use metal flower nails as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%