Whipped Cream Frosting And Fondant...

Decorating By CristinaB Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm by emiyeric

CristinaB Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondered if anyone's ever covered a cake with fondant that was first frosted with whipped cream frosting. I'm thinking that even a whipped cream frosting that had some kind of stabilizer would still not hold up under fondant. I have a request for this kind of frosting, but with a cake design that requires being covered with fondant. Any thoughts?

6 replies
peg818 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 7

I don't think the whipped cream would hold up, no matter what kind of stabilizers in it. You would end up collapsing the whipped cream under the weight of the fondant

conchita Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaB

Just wondered if anyone's ever covered a cake with fondant that was first frosted with whipped cream frosting. I'm thinking that even a whipped cream frosting that had some kind of stabilizer would still not hold up under fondant. I have a request for this kind of frosting, but with a cake design that requires being covered with fondant. Any thoughts?

Hello Cristina I have done a few cakes using pastry pride under the fondant. people have requested that becasue they don't like bc. if you see my pictures you will see a white cake with red chocolate clay roses and I also have a 25th wedding Anniversary that has pastry pride under it.
try it it will be fine thumbs_up.gif

Mimi209 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

Below is a mock whipped cream frosting receipe that I have used on a cake and then covered with a MMF.
I didn't have any problems getting the cake covered. I baked the cakes on Thursday evening, decorated on Friday evening and delivered the cake on Saturday.
The cake looked great and the birthday girl loved it.

MOCK WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING

1 c. milk
6 tbsp. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together first 2 ingredients in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Cool and set aside.
Mix sugar, butter, and vanilla together with electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth and fluffy. Can be used on any type cake.

pieceacake830 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 7

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this same question last week on this forum , and did not get a single response.
So I had to experiment a little. I took some whipped cream icing, and smothed it on a amll area. then I took a couple of pieces of fondant in different colors. I waited about 20 minutes and looked at them. Every one of them had broken down to a certain extent, and the colors had bled onto the whipped cream icing. When I say broken down, I mean the edges liquified! Had I put fondant directly onto the whipped cream, I would have had a mess!

HTH
Debbie

CristinaB Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I was pretty certain it wasn't something that would work, but it's nice to have other opinions and experiences! I also really appreciate the suggestions for alternate icings!

emiyeric Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 7

My past experience tends to agree (violently!) with pieceacake ... though it's nice to hear that some people have been fine with it, I have not! Not so much because of the collapsing of the cake, but because the colors bled horribly, making a puddle of goop (the color of the fondant) at the bottom of the cake which would reaccummulate the second I wiped it away. Ugh! All that humidity. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%