Mmf And Bows Question

Decorating By sjlilley Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 10:48am by sjlilley

sjlilley Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:38am
post #1 of 3

Thank you all in advance for your help.
I've never made MMF and I've never made a bow, but I'm going to do both this weekend. My question is will the MMF dry stiff enough to make a loopy bow? And how long will it take to dry so I can assemble it?

Other questions I have about MMF are: can I store the finished cake in the refrigerator or will the MMF get damp and lose its body or get sticky? I want to make fall leaves out of it too, will I be able to use a veiner on them or is the MMF too elastic to take the imprint? If I cover the cake the day before serving will the MMF get hard or tough?

I love CC!
Thanks again!

2 replies
hollyml Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 6:46am
post #2 of 3

Yes, MMF will dry stiff enough for a loop bow, but (unless you add tylose or gum-tex, or blend the MMF with gumpaste) it will take several days. While it's drying, support the loops with a ball of wax paper or something.

I have never stored a finished cake in the fridge but I gather that condensation can be a problem. If you need to refrigerate the cake, make sure you allow plenty of time for it to come back to room temperature without anyone touching or moving it. That way the condensation evaporates without a sticky mess.

Yes, you can use a veiner on MMF. It doesn't take fine detail as well as gumpaste, but MMF takes imprints as well as any other fondant.

No, the MMF will not get hard or tough in one day. It does firm up some (again, like any fondant) but it stays chewy-soft for at least a couple days.

Good luck!

sjlilley Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:48am
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for you help!
I have 4 (yes four) cakes to make for 1 day, all different flavors, all different shapes, all very different in decoration. I never even had 2 cakes for the same day much less 4! I am hoping to get most of the decorations done the week before so that mostly all I have to do the day of is place items and put borders on. I have to deliver them all to the same place Saturday afternoon.

One of the cakes is a cheese cake so I am going to bake it Thursday afternoon and decorate it Friday. The other cakes I plan on baking on Thursday morning and frosting that evening and decorating on Friday. I hope I can do all the baking on Thursday with out pooping out.
I mean 4 cakes really isn't so much if that was all I had to do, but, you know I kinda have a life as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%