Have You Ever Used Luster Spray On......

Decorating By msthang1224 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm by cupcakemkr

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:59am
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

So, I have an All Buttercream Cake to do and I wanted a lil pearlization (Is that even a word, lol) to it for a nice shine. I've only heard of using this spray on fondant, but, Has anyone ever used this on Buttercream before? If so, did it create a really nice shine to your cake?

TIA for all of youer help

14 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:05am
post #2 of 15

Yes I have. I will try to attach a picture of the one I did. It was a bridal shower cake and I thought it made it look very vintage and antique-y.

suzylynn58 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:06am
post #3 of 15

I didn't attach so I will add it to my photos and link it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 15

Yes..I have used it alot on BC cakes..Makes the white icing pearly...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 15

have also used ... really like the effect.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 15

i have used it on bc and it works great. the only thing is that my bc was white and after spraying it with the pearl it looked more like champagne in color. i was so nervous that the customer was going to hate the cake as she request it to be red, white and black. it's the tulips 2 tiered cake in my photos. the customer loved it tho and i was greatly relieved!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 15

Here is one I did that was on a black and white cake, you can see how it works. Mine doesn't really change the color of the white. It did lighten the black to more of a charcoal color.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1857694&done=1

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 15

Just make sure your bc is really smooth. The pearl spray shows every little flaw.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with Poohsmomma - make sure it is very smooth!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 15

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TO EVEREYONE!! Suzylyn58: Yes, that's what I'm looking for, I like your!!

Cas17: my icing is a ivory color and I want it to have the look that you guys are talking about. I'm glad that your customer loved your cake. I'm nervous too and hoping , like you, that my customer will like it. I will post results and reaction to it after delivery.

Thanks again to all for your responses icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 15

One more thing to comment on...I pearl spray everything I can-and mostly butter cream cakes...BUT, in my opinion, pearl spray does not look good on primary colors. It looks best on pastels...except it does make a cool effect on black. I've just seen in on primary red and blue and hated it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 15

to share some examples of spraying on BC:

Here's one where I sprayed red on BC. It really brought out the pressed-mat design: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256596

this is one where I laid a piece of lace on the edge of the cake and sprayed it with gold. Lifted the lace and Wah-LAH!!!: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1445677

I know I've got a photo somewhere where I've sprayed BC roses. Wow, that really makes 'em pop!!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm
post #14 of 15

Check out ThanhThanh 's pictures on here! She does this a lot and the effects are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 15

I have too - it is a pretty effect, here I have before and after pictures:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1619668

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%