Wilton Tall 6 Tier Cake Stand

Decorating By Michelle84 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm by -K8memphis

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 10

Please excuse me if my question is completely dumb - BUT, is this a cupcake or a cake stand?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_talltierstand

It doesn't mention cupcakes anywhere, but it also doesn't mention whether or not the center pillars pierce through the cakes? I'm hoping it does pierce through because that would make a great stand in my opinion.

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

ive used it for cupcakes. and if you put cakes on it you do need to use a cake corer and take out a center section of cake for the center pillar.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:48am
post #3 of 10

ah, one from the olden days! Originally designed for cakes, and as already mentioned, the center post went thru the center of the cake. This was pretty much why I never bought it because I thought it was too much work (cutting hole in the cardboard, hole in the middle of the cake, etc).

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 11:44am
post #4 of 10

its actually a very easy stand to use. Too bad it has such a dated look to it.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 10

How true, Peg! Wilton should update the look and promote it as an alternative cupcake stand!! thumbs_up.gif

The worst part about that stand (besides all of the hole-cutting) is that filligree design on the edge of the plates is an absolute BUGGER to clean!! thumbsdown.gif

the best way tI've found to deliver it: for each tier on a plate, drape non-skid material across a cake pan slighly smaller than the plate. Place the plated tier on top of the pan-the plated tier stays up-right and doesn't shift. I then place non-skid material underneath all of the pans during deliver as well. (I usually had 2-3 tiers on a bakers tray for transporting)

It's also a good way to cut and serve the cake as well! 'Course I had a venue chef that was too stupid to figure that out and ranted that I was NEVER allowed to bring another cake on one of those stands again!! icon_confused.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 10

I've heard it wobbles. If that's true, perhaps it's better for cupcakes than for an unstable wedding cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

I've heard it wobbles. If that's true, perhaps it's better for cupcakes than for an unstable wedding cake.

wobbles with or without a cake on it?

the reason I ask is that a lot of people think the fountain stand is unstable because when they put it together on their kitchen table, it wobbles. A lot. but once the weight of the 3 to 5 to 6 tier cake is sitting on it, it's stable as all git-out. the weight of the cake holds it in place.

And I'm confused by "unstable wedding cake". icon_confused.gif If a wedding cake is unstable, it doesnt' matter if its on a stand or not.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

wobbles with or without a cake on it?

With cake on it. Perhaps it's not wobbly when using portions of the stand for a small tiered setup, but when using all of the stand--it supposedly leans from all that towering weight because the center pole design is in sections as opposed to one sturdy pole. (I suppose what I read could just be contributed to user error, but wobble and poor review should be a serious consideration if choosing this stand for a large setup.)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 10

I haven,t used it, but have cake friends that truly love it. They are always out of stock with it. Yes, could be used for cupcakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 10

I always liked mine. You have to be sure to assemble it correctly of course. The connecting pieces screw in if memory serves and you gotta line it up right. I loved that it was dowel free. I always make & cut all my own boards anyhow. Cutting an extra hole is no biggie for me.

And if you place a cardboard on it that just goes to the inside of the lace--you can place your cake on top of that & go all the way to the edge, cover it up all the way--the first cardboard fills in the indent there if you get what I mean. It's like got a litttle step up to the lace edge but can be filled in.

I like mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%