Transporting Cakes: Deliver Or Pick Up?

Decorating By himmlisch Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 11:09pm by himmlisch

himmlisch Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 7

After posting pictures of my cakes from my very first cake class, a friend of mine ordered a cake from me. She just told me she could pick it up, or I could deliver it. It would be much easier to have her pick it up, but is there a professional opinion on this? If she were to transport it incorrectly and have it get ruined on the way to the party I would feel responsible. What would you do?

6 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:28am
post #2 of 7

Most wedding cakes I deliver but charge for it. For smaller cakes they usually pick up.

auzzi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:28am
post #3 of 7

If they pick it up, take photographs of it's condition.

As part of a professional contract, you would have a disclaimer. This should note it's condition when it left, and disavow responsibility for it from the pick-up time.

Once you surrender it to the driver, it is their [purchaser's] responsibility.

K1976 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:39am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Most wedding cakes I deliver but charge for it. For smaller cakes they usually pick up.

How do you figure delivery charges? TIA

indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:41am
post #5 of 7

I only delivered wedding cakes and that was bullt into my pricing (within a certain range). Anything outside my standard delivery area was $1.25 per ROUND TRIP mile, based on mapquest (and the mood I was in!) icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

How do you figure delivery charges? TIA

My delivery charge is $.75 a mile round trip.

himmlisch Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much to everyone! She came and picked it up this afternoon. I've only been caking for a month, so it was very exciting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%