Cake In A Jar?

Lounge By DaisyLisa17 Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm by DaisyLisa17

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 9

Have yall seen the cakes in a jar? They are for sell all over etsy. I was thinking about making these for some Christmas gifts, but dont really know where to start. Are they baked in the jar? Are they baked then assembled in the jar? Do you need to seal them in a mason jar? And I wonder how long they would last?

If anyone has ever made some before, some advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

there is a thread in cupcake forum that might be helpful. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-697219-0-days0-orderasc-.html.

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 9

The ones I made before, I took a cupcake placed it in the jar, added frosting, another cupcake then more frosting. Just layered it.

I've also made the pie in a jar. These I baked right in the jar. I sold them at a Christmas festival last year, they were a bit hit.

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:00am
post #4 of 9

I'm planning on making some soon. They are just regular cupcakes baked in cupcake tins/papers, cut in half horizontally to make 2 layers, and layer in mason jars with fillings and frosting. I think they would keep for a few days in the jars without getting funky. I want to make some to send to relatives with their holiday gifts.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 9

Pie in a jar? That sounds interesting. Do you layer unbaked pie dough with filling?

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #6 of 9

Here's the link to the pie in a jar. They were terrific. She even has labels you can print off.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

I've baked cakes in jars before. Use a wide mouth pint and as soon as they come out of the oven place the canning lid on CAREFULLY! And as they cool they'll seal. They were a dense cake, along the line of a carrot cake texture. I don't have a recipe to share, it's been a long time ago--just do a search on google or startpage and you'll find recipes.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:10am
post #8 of 9

Thanks brightbrats...I love the idea..I may just have to try it.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone... I am looking forward to trying some soon!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%