Please Help :( Corners Of My Cake Broke Off

Decorating By cakesgalore6373 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:34am by indydebi

cakesgalore6373 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 6

I am crumb coating a 16" square cake for a wedding. When I placed the second layer on top, two of the corners fell off. icon_sad.gif If this were a smaller cake, I would just add more icing and be done with it.
Well, I have done just that. Add more icing.( Have not put other tiers on it yet.) But................this is a wedding cake! Bottom tier. Their will be three more tiers, 14",12" and 10'.
Will it be okay, stable, if I make my dowel rods a little taller and take the weight off, or should I just throw it away, and start over? icon_confused.gif
No, I do not want to start over, but I do not want the cake to fall or cause other problems.
Your response is greatly appreciated.

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 6
Originally Posted by cakesgalore6373

...When I placed the second layer on top, two of the corners fell off.
...Their will be three more tiers, 14",12" and 10'.

If this is an all BC cake, I'd rebake the bottom tier.

If this will be covered with fondant, you "might" be able to reattach the corners that fell off and see if the fondant helps to hold it all together. In the meantime, I'd be rebaking layer(s) incase it doesn't work out.

chikadodle Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:22am
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure how big the pieces of cake that fell off are, but if they're not too big you can fix it like this: When bits of cake break off, you can usually take those bits, crumble them up and add some buttercream to them to make a paste-like consistency. Then use that paste to spackle the cake where it broke. You can also use ganache instead of buttercream to make the spackle and fill in the holes, if chocolate works for your cake flavor.

I use IMBC and after I patch up my cakes, I just throw the cake in the fridge to set up for 10 minutes or so and it's as good as new. Good luck!

cakesgalore6373 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

Thank you ladies. Yes, it is BC. And I knew I should just rebake. But....always looking for a secret to save the day. icon_smile.gif
The pieces are pretty good size, about 4". So....I will preheat the oven, and start over. Looks like it is going to be a long night. icon_cry.gif

Oh well, that's the cake world right?

chikadodle Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

Oooh, 4" is a definite rebake! Sorry about that -- rotten luck! Maybe you can cut that broken tier into a smaller tier to use so it doesn't go to waste?

indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6

Without seeing the damage, my inclination would be to rebake (much as I would HATE to do that!). As mentioned above, it it was a clean break, you might be able to use BC to glue it into place.

I'm not sure how making the dowels taller will help? icon_confused.gif the upper tiers will sit on the dowels themselves, whether they are taller or level with the cake.

Just as a learning thing, do you know why it broke off? Was it not leveled well, so there was a big gap between the two layers, so gravity took over and pulled the unsupported corner down? Did you bump it when laying the upper layer in place? Or was it the kind we hate .... the "it just broke!" kind? icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%