Vanilla Cake Too Dense?

Baking By princesscatt Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 2:55am by princesscatt

princesscatt Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 5

I use 5 eggs in my vanilla cake. I have made and eaten the cake and when it first comes out of the oven and cools it seems so moist and tender. Once it goes in the fridge and sets up it gets like a pound cake? It tastes good but it's really not the consistency that I was hoping for. So I made it again tonight and instead of 5 eggs I used 3 whole eggs and 2 egg whites. I also made all my ingredients come to room temp.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone tried using sour cream in their cakes? Does this make a difference?

Here are the rest of the ingredients:
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour
1tbs baking pwdr
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk

vanilla

4 replies
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 5

Are you eating the cake cold out of the refrigerator or letting it warm up to room temperature?

Butter based cakes can taste overly firm (=dense + dry when cold) but are great when warm/room temperature.

HTH

princesscatt Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 5

I let it get to room temp and it's only refrigerate it b/c most times the filling requires it. The cake tastes great..just wish it was a little softer. Maybe cutting back on the butter?

JanH Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

Well, eggs are leaveners, so I know that cutting back on the eggs will make the cake more not less dense. Additionally, butter (fat) is a tenderizer so I wouldn't cut back on that.

Maybe just try an oil based recipe that has the same amount of sugar as flour (for a more tender cake ) and see how you like that texture when refrigerated.

Science of Baking (ingredients):

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

http://www.joyofbaking.com/BasicIngredients.html

HTH

princesscatt Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 5

The cake I made with the egg whites and whole eggs actually came out better. I think I'm just going to have to experiment a little to find the perfect combo.

Thanks for the info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%