Frozen Cakes

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm by CraveBakery

CraveBakery Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 5

I forgot to set my cakes out this morning, and i want to start decorating (leveling,icing, and fondant) tonight. Can I ice and cover my cake with fondant if it's still a little frozen? What are my limits?? icon_eek.gif

4 replies
Stephy42088 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 5

I have before and it was fine. the buttercream does get cold when icing though...although I found it easier to work with and make smooth that way

mcdonald Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 5

Icing, you are fine.. the fondant though... I would let it come a little to room temp before I cover.....not long but just a little

sacakesandbakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 5

I always try to crumb ice the cakes the day before and leave in the fridge overnight. Then the next day the cakes are no longer frozen. I will put a second layer of icing and cover with MM fondant. I have no trouble putting the fondant on, but becuase the cake is still cold it sometimes becomes sticky as the cake is coming to room temperature. As long as you dont mess with the fondant while its sticky, it will keep the smooth appearance and it will dry back to the texture it was when you placed it.

I also like using cornstarch to roll my fondant out instead of powder sugar. The first time I put mm fondant on cold cake it got sticky, I just added a light dusting of cornstarch over the fondant covered cake, the stickyness absorbed the cornstarch and the fondant was ok.

I hope this helps

CraveBakery Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! I discovered that it was so much easier to work with larger cakes when they are frozen. I was able to cut my cakes in half and stack and ice them all while partially frozen. by the time i was done they were almost at room temp because i cut them in half.

Thanks again! I'm also going to post in the the almost finished cake, because I need some finishing ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%