Cake Stacking And Travel

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 9 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm by Cakegirl313

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so I've made a good number of cakes. But only a few of them have been muliti tiered. I've always had time at the site to set up so I bring each layer in its own box and then put the border on there. BUT with this being said I know this won't always be the case and I know it would probably be easier to finish the cake and take it in one piece. But how would I go about making sure the whole thing didn't tip over. Would I need to put one huge dowel thru the middle and what about cakes that don't have a topper. Do I need to already have a dowel in the board and slide cakes down over it. And then there is the problem with transport. Where do I get boxes big enought to take the cakes?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 8:26am
post #2 of 4

Sounds like the SPS system is what you're looking for:
(Developed for bakeries that didn't offer delivery.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:08am
post #3 of 4

I would agree that if you're nervous about transporting assembled cakes, to invest in SPS.

When you say you may not have time to assemble, can I ask why that might be an issue? I always delivered one hour prior to when the first guest was expected at the reception (5;30 reception .... I deliver at 4;30). leah_s has said numerous times that she delivers as much as 6 hours prior to the start of the reception. Are the venues giving you a hard time on how early you can deliver?

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies. I will look at the SPS that you were talking about.

Well I've always had time to set up but since this next couple of cakes are for family's parties I would probably be getting there about the time of the party since I have two small children to keep entertained and I know this sounds crazy but since i'm still "new" at all this I like the finished product to be a surprise since it's usually given as a gift. I know at the one birthday party my sister's n-laws like to snoop and will want to sneak a look at it before the birthday girl. Not a big deal but it means something to me. But I do usually have plenty of time for delivery when I do something like a wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%