Price For 3D Cakes

Decorating By jayla Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm by Kiddiekakes

jayla Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I am having trouble determining how much to charge for a coach handbag cake. I used a 11x15 sheet cake to carve, covered in fondant and C's stenciled on cake.

Could someone tell me how to calculate or estimate of how much to charge?

I live in VA

jayla

4 replies
leily Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 5

For a generic handbag/purse cake (or any 3D cake) i take my standard price and increase it by 50%-100% per serving depending on detail.
To figure pricing you first need to know your cost to make the cake (ingredients, electrical, gas, water, boards, dowels, plates, overheads etc...) then how much you want to make per hour, then you also need to add on how much profit you want to make from the cake.

There is no standard price as each area is different (pricing just for ingredients varies greatly) what your market can bear and also the quality of your work.

But as for a coach bag specifically, i wouldn't charge b/c Coach is a copyrighted/trademarked logo and it's illegal to reproduce. I also believe that their purses/bag designs are copyright/trademarked, but maybe someone else knows this for sure?

CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5

Can this really be true? I've seen so many coach bags on this site, & I can hardly believe that no one charged for them?

tavyheather Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 5

yep, believe it! I made mine for my sister's 40th birthday...as her present (which was a major score for me b/c she's a PITB to shop for)

it's a HECK of a lot of work and therefore I would not do it again AND risk a lawsuit for it if I charged for it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 5

I charge $5.00 per serving for my 3D cakes...It usually starts at about $150.00 for a 15-20 serving cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%