To Mix Or Not To Mix?

Decorating By Sweetcakester Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Sweetcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakester Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 6

I have read conflicting answers about how long to mix buttercream. Do you mix only till combined or longer. Please help me get non gritty silky bc.

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 6

Gritty could be from the powder sugar. Do you use pure cane sugar (name brand) or beet sugar (some store brands)?

You will get different opinions on how long to mix. For me, when I mix at high speeds or for long periods of time I get lots of air bubbles in my buttercream. I usually use a modified version of Wilton's recipe.

I know that those that use IndyDebi's recipes ay they can mix high and long with no issues.

Also Sharon, AKA SugarShack, figured out years ago, that if you fill your mixer up as full as you can get it (with the icing over the beater blade) that it will help reduce air bubbles.

People will also tell you if you let your icing sit over night, then press it against the side of the bowl with a spatula that you will end up with non airy icing to work with.

Sweetcakester Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 6

Is airy better?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 6

If there's lots of air bubbles, it's harder to smooth it out on the cake.

If you want a non gritty, silky bc, then I would suggest using a meringue buttercream. Any recipe will do because they use a cooked sugar syrup instead of just raw sugar. My favorite to make is Italian Meringue Buttercream.

I learned ALOT from this video. What to use and how to make it. I add more vanilla than most recipes call for to kind of take the edge off of the buttery flavor.

Another recipe is french meringue, I just recently saw it on an episode of Good Eats. That uses the same technique of Italian BC, but uses whole eggs instead of just the whites. This gives a richer buttercream than the Italian. The other type is Swiss Meringue. I've never had luck with that method, I always end up with scrambled eggs when I make that.

Sweetcakester Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 6

I see airy isn't good. Also do you use the whisk attachment or the paddle?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 6

If you're making American BC, then the paddle. If you're making the Meringue BCs, then the whisk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%