Masonite/food Safety Question

Decorating By bethasd Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 4:33pm by grama_j

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 5

I need some custom shapes for supports in my cake & want my DH to buy masonite from Home Depot & cut the custom shapes for me. Is this food safe? I can wash the masonite with hot soapy water. Do I need to cover it in plastic wrap before putting it inside the cake? Thanks.

4 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, it definitely needs to be wrapped.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know for sure, but I think once it is cut, there will be "raw" edges, and unless you can seal them really well, it COULD be a little germ catcher, and the raw wood, might "flavor" what ever it touches....... I did this more as a bump than an answer, so let's hope someone has a MUCH better answer than mine....

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah, it seemed to me that the underside was fibrous & I worried about that. DH says absolutely must wrap too. Do I just use plastic wrap? Any other suggestions? Going to have a pipe (probably pvc) running through the middle for support. Does that get wrapped too?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

As long as the PVC is really clean, I see no need..... you can put that through the dishwasher and sterilize it......... Boy, You HAVE to let me know what you are doing..... I'm intrigued now !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%