How To Make A Baseball And Bat Out Of Rkt? Plz Help!

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm by emiyeric

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 8

so I should have made this baseballl and bat by now so I tried a recipe on here but it isnt holding its shape. It was cooled for abour an hour before I tried to work w/it. I did run the RK thru the food processor to make it smooth before mixing it w/ the mellows and oil. Any suggestions? The recipe was 4 c cereal, 5 cups mellows, 1/4 c oil or butter. TIA!

7 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds to me like your ratio of wet - dry is off. I follow the recipe on the RK box, which is a package of mm(40 I think) 6 cups of RK and 3 tbsp butter. It always works. If I'm feeling lazy, I buy the no-name RKT already made and use those.
Try adding more RK to your mixture, but I think because of the oil it might never stick.

Hth

shell62995 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply! Off to try that!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 8

Oil? I only use butter. But my recipe is 16 oz of mm, 5 cups of rk and quarter cup butter. Really should be 6 cups of rk but I hold back a cup. Practically identical to Cakes 22.

I mold it while it's still warm right out of the pot. I keep it over a pan of boiling water if I need to hold it.

It takes hours for rk to set up.

But I don't know the recipe that the decorators use on tv where they use already prepared rkt. I've always wondered how they do that--but what I do works for me so I never found out.

And I can mold it in the general shape and let it set up overnight then carve on it too. That's how I do mine.

FrostedFlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFlake Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 8

Take out the oil/butter.

I just did something and had the same problem - jack-o-lantern face and it just wouldn't set up. His cut-out smile and eyes just kept sagging and looking sad/terrifying.

Looked online and some people suggested taking the butter out of the recipe, just marshmallows and cereal. Tried it - worked like a charm, much sturdier and the kids who ate it didn't seem to miss the butter.

I've never tried running them through a food processor, that seems like an extra step. Is there really a good reason to do that?

Oh, and the RTK they use in the shows, I'm guessing, is the sheets of them you can buy - google "treat sheet" to see what I'm talkin' 'bout.

shell62995 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 8

FrostedFlake-Running thru the food processor made the the rkt really smooth which would have been great but it work out great the other way too!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 8

For the bat, I'd definitely have formed the RKT around a dowel for stability.... and if you lessen the butter, it hardens up more. Then refrigerate for ultimate stiffness before icing and covering.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sure this is probably too late, but a neat trick you can use for next time is completely ommitting the butter and using melted white chocolate instead. Hardens WAY more, works like a charm! icon_smile.gif Hope it turned out okay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%