Can I Paint Gumpaste To Change It's Color?

Decorating By Chasey Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm by Chasey

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 4

Argh! I made a gumpaste pony with lavendar hoofs, mane, tail, face accents, etc. almost 2 weeks ago. I also made a light pink one.

They were both drying in my glass fronted china cabinet and being kept dust free. There isn't any direct sunlight on them, but of course the room has a window, LOL!

I checked on them last night because the cakes are due this Sunday and was shocked to see a little pink and a little BLUE pony!!! The lavendar hung on in just a couple of spots, mainly those that were touching the plate.

AND I had made some tiny lavendar flowers. Yep, they are blue, too. Not too sure about finding a lot of blue petal flowers in nature!

My question is, can I dilute some lavendar gel and paint the blue parts? Would I do that with a bit of clear vanilla or vodka so that it doesn't get all sticky?

I have the feeling I can't get it back to a lavendar with diluted "paint" but I fear she won't appreciate a "boy" color on her pony!

OR do you think I would have better luck buying some purple luster dust and painting that on? (which honestly, I've not used and I assume you mix that with something as well? Or do you wet the surface of the gumpaste and dust it on in dry form? icon_redface.gif )

Thanks for any advice you have! Any tips on prevention? icon_razz.gif

3 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 4

I would paint it. Purple/violet always seems to turn blue after a while.
If you use lusterdust you'd probably end up with a sparkly blue pony icon_sad.gif
Use vodka are clear vanilla extract. Another member said lemon extract works well too cause it has a higher alcohol content than vodka.

Hth

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, I agree. Dilute with vodka and paint it on. I do this all the time, especially with red and black, because I hate making red and black gumpaste icon_wink.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome! I didn't realize you could paint such deep colors as red and black onto gumpaste! Well, I should say I didn't realize you can achieve the look you wanted without dyeing it first. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll give that a whirl and see what happens with my ratio of vodka and gel. I can use up a blue flower for practice!

P.S. I apparently need to learn how to spell lavender. Please excuse the first post! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%