When Did You Feel Ready To Make Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By pinkjacs Updated 3 Oct 2015 , 6:54pm by Magda_MI

pinkjacs Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:52am
post #1 of 32

I have been asked to do a few wedding cakes next yeah. Tbh i love the idea but the would need to be perfect and i am still new to this hand so not sure my skills are there yet.
When did you know the time was right or did you just jump right in?

31 replies
heroes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:16am
post #2 of 32

My personal opinion is when you feel ready. Ive taken a look at your pics and they look fab so I would say give it a go. I was asked to do a wedding fayre in January, everyone is putting pressure on me to do it but I dont personally feel ready for it, I have been asked to make a wedding cake next may for a friend and I have said yes as its a while away and feel that If I have practice runs then it should turn out ok. I would give it a go if I was you your cakes are very good already.
Karen x

LindaF144a Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:42am
post #3 of 32

I was ready when the first person asked me to do it. I had already done a few fondant cakes, and the person asking was a family friend. I did a ton of research here on CC and used the SPS system to support it. We sat down together and looked a wedding cakes online for inspiration. After that I just didn't think of the enormity of what I committed to doing, I just did it. The result is in my photo section.

At the reception, I was the one who ended up serving the cake. And I did it to 100 people I did not know. It was the first time I served my cake to people i didn't know. We knew the bride and groom and a hand full of other people there, but everybody else was new to me. Thank goodness it tasted good. I told my DD if it didn't, I was going to sneak out the back door. The hush in the room while people ate cake was surprising. I figured a few people would want some, but it was the whole darn room and some were coming for seconds before we were done. At the same time it boosted my confidence. Thanks to CC, I can make a go at this cake decorating thing I love so much.

MissLisa Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:46am
post #4 of 32

Have you thought about doing a trial run? Maybe make a wedding cake, just as you would for an actual order (maybe even have a friend place an 'order'). Bake it, fill it, frost it, stack it, decorate it, put it in the car and drive around for a bit. How comfortable are you with it?

When you are all done, presuming all went well, donate the cake to a senior center, school, local police or fire department.

You've had the practice and the cake doesn't go to waste.

KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 32

I figured I was ready when I had done several tiered cakes and felt secure that I knew how to execute one pretty well without any MAJOR difficulties (nothing is perfect). I also had a set pricing list, a contract that covered everything I could think of, and serving charts. My first bride asked if I had done any wedding cakes before and I was honest, I told her I hadn't but that I had done several tiered cakes for other occasions and she saw photos online of my work and felt secure in ordering from me. I have since doubled my prices and my technique has become cleaner along the way as well. My very first bride was ecstatic with her cake and today I look at that pic and think UGH, it was sooooooooooo not perfect, but she wasn't a cake person so she didn't notice LOL

costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 32

I think that as long as you've done tiered cakes and aren't worried about the construction part of it, you should be fine.

indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 32

Agree with costume. Your mini mouse and music man cakes are "wedding" cakes .... they just happen to be in birthday decor! You've already done a wedding cake. You just didnt' CALL it a wedding cake.

Go for it.

debbief Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 32

I'm not sure how ready I feel, but I've been wanting to do a wedding cake for awhile now. I actually don't know if I'll ever feel like I'm good enough so I think I just need to go for it....someday icon_lol.gif Actually my niece asked me to make her wedding cake next Oct. So I have a whole year to prepare. I'm very excited!

Like you said Pinkjacs, it needs to be perfect. That's what makes me nervous about doing it. Agghhh the pressure. By the looks of your cakes, I'd say your ready to give it a shot. Sounds like you already realize the importance of a wedding cake so just do plenty of research and make sure you're well educated and go for it! You've already found this site, so you know you'll find answers from all your fellow CC'rs to any questions you may have. icon_smile.gif

ChefAngie Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 32

Remember wedding cakes are single cakes coming together as one.
You are ready.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Enchantedcakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 32

When my sister in law said I want you to make my wedding cake..lol... I had been making specialty cakes for a while but I knew she would not want a carved car or boat. I also had done many butter cream wedding cakes with my mother when she owned our business but i knew she would not want that type of cake either. Then I looked at my portfolio and noticed many of my special occasion cakes were tiered cakes and that the jump to an all white wedding cake was not as scary of an idea. The cake was great and I have been doing wedding cakes ever since.

NatalieC923 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 32

I was one of those crazy people that made my own wedding cake. I probably wouldn't do it again as I had several other things to deal with at the last minute (all the minutes I planned to spend on the cake), but as my own first client - I didn't complain. icon_wink.gif

I agree with MissLisa - to boost your confidence, just make one now. It's always nice to have another portfolio cake anyway - and you can always find someone willing to eat a cake.

HannahLass Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 32

Hi Pinkjacks,
I just did my first wedding cake 2 weeks ago and my second this weekend just gone. It's been 2.5 years decorating for me before I did a "wedding" cake. Purely because I didn't know anyone getting married. As Indy says you've done tiered cakes and they count it's them decorated differently is all (took me a while and some panic before I worked that one out lol) . Go ahead and do it jump in both feet you can do it. xxx

pinkjacs Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 32

thank you all very much.

One of the cakes is for my wee cousin and she is a perfectionist and says that she has asked me to do it because I am where she gets it from lol but I LOVE weddings and I would be gutted if it wasnt perfect for a bride! I did tell my wee cousin that we would do a dummy teir for her.

I think the hard thing is in Scotland we still go in for white/ivory cakes that are simple but very stunning so it would need to be perfect.

I have never used a stacking system so will need to look into that more too......thats where CC will come in handy.

thanks everyone, I think I will go with the yeah I will take your order have a look at my cakes.....but I am new to this but I promise I will put my all in!!! Which I always do anyway

Sweet_Toof Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:58am
post #14 of 32

If you aren't too sure if you are ready or not - don't say no straight away... find out what the bride wants.
Study it carefully and prove to yourself if you can do it or not.
I'm only just starting out and there are some cakes I've said no to, and some yes. Those ones that I said no to, I probably could have done anyway but it made me too nervous thinking about the day I'd have to decorate it and deliver it.
Good luck icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:01am
post #15 of 32

p.s. I just had a look at your photos and they are great. You've done more than me and if I can commit, so can you.
I figure so many people want plain cakes for weddings they're probably easier than birthday cakes anyway.
Go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

dsilvest Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:12am
post #16 of 32

My first wedding cake was also my first fondant cake and first stacked cake.
It was for my daughter's wedding. It must have turned out alright because I got two orders for wedding cakes from it and decided to start a business making wedding cakes.
If I could do it with limited instruction, so can you.

tokazodo Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:29am
post #17 of 32

I'm with Costumeczar and Indydebi,

I looked at your cakes, you are ready.

Edna De la Cruz has some great videos for free on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1?blend=2&ob=1

Her video on stacking is great. That's how I stack now. I was nervous with it in the past, but once I watched her video, over and over again, I felt more comfortable and started stacking everything!

I needed cake for about 20 people for a party for a friend (Our gift was the cake)
It wound up being a 12 inch cake with a 10 inch stacked on top of it.
Recently, I had a friends little girl turn 5. Why not stack for a 5 year old? I stacked a 4 inch on a 7 inch.
I've become obsessive. I'm looking at tuna fish cans wondering how many I would need to make a mini layer to stack on top of the 4 inch layer!

You'll do find, just jump in, the water's (cake batter!) is fine!

costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:44am
post #18 of 32

I think that as soon as someone says "wedding cake" we all freak out, because we know that it comes with a different set of baggage than a birthday cake or any other kind of cake would. As long as you get everything in writing, double-check the details, and do what the contract says you're supposed to do it will be fine!

pinkjacs Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:02pm
post #19 of 32

sweet_toof thanks icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:23pm
post #20 of 32

I had taken one Wilton class (the one where they tell you what supplies you will need to bring/buy) when I was asked to do my first. I hadn't done anything major before that class so it's not like I already had mad cake decorating skills! However, it was my SIL for my nephew and I adore him so I let her talk me into it. Fortunately, that was in January and the wedding wasn't until July so I had lots of time to research how to actually build a wedding cake!

This site was immeasurably helpful, along with a Dede Wilson book on how to make your own wedding cake. My very first wedding cake was followed two weeks later by my second (someone at the first wedding begged and pleaded and since it bought me a new mixer, I said yes.) Now they're not so scary. icon_smile.gif

pinkjacs Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 10:36pm
post #21 of 32

just had a look at your cakes they are very good!!

mombabytiger Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 12:09am
post #22 of 32

I volunteered to do one as a gift for a friend's daughter. Then I just figured it out! Actually - it was easier than I thought. I've done several since, and never had a problem. I haven't signed up for anything elaborate, but a simple tiered cake is a snap. Don't worry! You can do it!

pinkjacs Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 11:53am
post #23 of 32

thats what I told my wee cousin...that he cake would be her wedding gift but she thinks thats too much but I am more than happy t do it for her!!

pinkjacs Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

I'm with Costumeczar and Indydebi,

I looked at your cakes, you are ready.

Edna De la Cruz has some great videos for free on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonedna1?blend=2&ob=1

Her video on stacking is great. That's how I stack now. I was nervous with it in the past, but once I watched her video, over and over again, I felt more comfortable and started stacking everything!

I needed cake for about 20 people for a party for a friend (Our gift was the cake)
It wound up being a 12 inch cake with a 10 inch stacked on top of it.
Recently, I had a friends little girl turn 5. Why not stack for a 5 year old? I stacked a 4 inch on a 7 inch.
I've become obsessive. I'm looking at tuna fish cans wondering how many I would need to make a mini layer to stack on top of the 4 inch layer!

You'll do find, just jump in, the water's (cake batter!) is fine!

Miss a few posts sorry thanks i love stacking cakes i think cake looks better with more layers i will watch the clips thank you x

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #25 of 32

Pinkjacs--I love the poem in your signature line!!!!!!!!!!

So true so true so incredibly true!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 32

And to answer op's question. I'm still not ready!!! icon_biggrin.gif

pinkjacs Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Pinkjacs--I love the poem in your signature line!!!!!!!!!!

So true so true so incredibly true!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

lol cheers icon_smile.gif

denishill Posted 3 Oct 2015 , 2:27am
post #28 of 32

Wedding is always special ceremony in everyone’s life and in this occasion there are several added events like cake ceremony. Basically, this event is organized after the marriage regulations are completed. So, it is very evident that everyone will seek for the best management and in this concern there will be no supplementary option rather than hiring an expert professional. Thanks for the discussion.

cookiemum123 Posted 3 Oct 2015 , 2:56am
post #29 of 32

I'm planning my trial run now lol...I was going to make a mini one  but then I thought , Maybe a Dummy cake,  when my neighbor said who's going to eat all that cake? Lol I plainly said "US!"we both have 5 kids at home still! She laughed and went into her apartment! 

RobertBarnett Posted 3 Oct 2015 , 3:29am
post #30 of 32

Do a practice cake or two. If you have a couple of friends who's birthday is coming up offer to do a cake for them and do at first as small two tier wedding type cake (make clear to your friend that they will be getting a wedding cake as you are trying to practice, I bet they would be thrill to get such an awesome cake for their birthday (I too looked in your photos and think you are quite talented)) and then offer the same to another friend and try something a little bigger a three or even a four tier cake. Yah, you won't get paid for it but the practice is invaluable as it will let you know if you are ready and if you are ready how well you can do.

I did this for myself and decided that I didn't like the stress of it. I went a bit further and had the people I was doing to cake for sit down with me and go through the process I would use on a paying client, I had them help me design their cakes. All three were tickled pink and had a blast doing it.

Robert

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%