What Type Of Frosting?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 12:24pm by KayMc

KayMc Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

I plan on making Alton Brown's sugar cookies again this Christmas, as they are HAND'S DOWN the best roll out cookies I've ever eaten. (recipe @ Food Network's web site). I am hoping to decorate some this year, which I didn't do last year. Is it royal icing you use to decorate cookies? My fear is that RI doesn't taste good - just tastes sweet. Alton's recipe is so fabulous that I don't want to ruin it with mediocre-tasting frosting. If it is indeed RI that I should use, does anyone know how to make it taste good?

6 replies
VickeyC Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 7

Add raspberry flavoring to it. Yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

msulli10 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

Antonia74 royal icing recipe is very good. You can add flavorings to it. I always add vanilla.

KayMc Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 7

I'll look for this recipe on this website. thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:11am
post #5 of 7

Another idea is to use rolled buttercream which can also be flavored--but you roll it out and cut it out with the same cookie cutter and freeze it so it is easy to apply to the baked cookie--really pretty and good. Doesn't dry as firm as royal icing though.

Another idea is to thin out some of the cookie dough with water or milk and pipe decorations right onto the unbaked cookie--use a real fine tip and it spreads a bit but it's another idea.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 5:14am
post #6 of 7

I generally decorate my sugar cookies with fondant cut outs and RI piping details. I adhere the fondant with a little corn syrup.

My family prefers softer cookies and the fondant allows for this.

Rae

KayMc Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 7

All great suggestions! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%