Decorative Paper Punches

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 2:56am by anxietyattack

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone used the decorative paper punches on fondant?? Like the Martha Stewart punches? Can you tell me how it worked out for you?? Thanks

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 15

They work really well. Either let the fondant dry a little while before you punch it, after it's rolled out, or dust the punch with cornstarch.

Some of Martha's punches don't punch all the way through...they're made to make paper pop-ups I think. Those don't work on fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 15

I've used them with gumpaste rolled otu really thin, but not fondant. How thin do you have to roll it out to get the fondant into those punches? I can't imagine how it would fit into that little slot!

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 15

I've used them with gumpaste rolled out really thin, but not fondant. How thin do you have to roll it out to get the fondant into those punches? I can't imagine how it would fit into that little slot!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 15

I use MMF with them. I don't have any trouble getting it rolled thin enough. Here's a couple examples:
The pink flowers and stars (actually the whole thing is MMF, it was back before I found a gumpaste recipe I liked)
The flowers, stars and the skulls and crossbones.

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 15

Interesting...

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 15

I used Martha's punches on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1634774

They worked great...the only issue I had was with the center red design. That starts out as just a square, then you punch all four corners...doing this with fondant (even stiff fondant) was really difficult. Almost every time, I'd get 3 corners done and perfectly aligned, then the last one would be off...that's how I ended up with the little curlie-cues around the top tier...I cut them all off of ruined squares.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 15

One kind of punch that doesn't work well for me is the Fiskars with a metal handle that you squeeze. I had a bunch of those from Big Lots and you can use them on thicker fondant, but twice the spring in the middle came loose while I was using them...once it embedded itself partway in the wall.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 15

If you are into the gelatin work at all, they make great borders for bows! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:54am
post #10 of 15

Thank you for this awesome tip. I know I will use this one in the future. Just one more reason I love this site icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:13am
post #11 of 15

Yep - I only recently discovered this scrapbook punch idea myself for GP work - I thought: if ppl can use Cricut for cutting GP, why can't I use a punch?

Works great!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #12 of 15

I was walking through Michael's wondering the same thing. Good to know it has worked for others!!! I have some 40% off coupons I need to use before Saturday. I'll be there at 9:00am tomorrow morning stocking up!!!!!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #13 of 15

this is great as I was thinking the same thing several times I visited..now I know! Awesome..

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:52am
post #14 of 15

thanks everyone!! I'll be at Michaels too first thing!! LOL

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:56am
post #15 of 15

I've heard that they work great with SugarVeil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%