What Type Of Fondant Do You Use?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm by jo3d33

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 18

I thought I'd do a little poll on here to see what type of fondant everyone on here uses for their cakes. I see alot of comments about satin ice being used because it is easy to work with but fondarific (for example) tastes better but is hard to work with.

Shouldn't we all be going with something that tastes good? I am fairly new at cake decorating so not sure how the businesses do it. Anyways, please pick one option below. Sorry If I forgot any.

17 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 18

We only use Satin Ice. If my shop could afford Uster I'd go with that - a dream to work with.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 18

I use Fondariffic, but I'm thinking of trying Fonx. Fondariffic is $17.99 / 2 lbs at my local cake shop. I found Fondx 10lb bucket for $28.00 and I've heard great things about it. You can't beat $28 for 10 lbs....

MissFluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFluff Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 18

Until I get brave enough to try making my own I am using Satin Ice. I'd be willing to try the Duff if I had a coupon from Michael's. I might also try the sample pack of Fondariffic for $6 to see how I like it. icon_cool.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 18

Satin Ice--except for a couple of times that I had a Michael's coupon and I bought Duff's.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 18

I use Duff only because I love that I can use a coupon. I print out a coupon on AC Moore's website (they always have one available), and they honor them there! I get a 2lb tub for about $10. Stay away from the lemon though, gross! Buttercream and especially the chocolate is yummy!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_cake_maker

fondarific (for example) tastes better but is hard to work with.

Fondarific is soft, true, but I think it's easier to work with than Satin Ice, which dries too quickly for me. I've recently taken to using a 60/40 mix of Satin Ice and Fondarific and it works really well. For my next cake, I think I'll take the plunge and order some Albert Uster...just to see if it's as good as it's reputed to be.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #8 of 18

I used to use Satin Ice but am switching to Fondarific or Duffs (pretty sure it is the same). I think something is going on w/ Satin Ice the last 75 lbs I have bought has been very dry and had lots of elephant skin. Thought it was just the one bucket but I had 3 bad buckets i a row all bought at different times

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:22am
post #9 of 18

I like to make my own. I use Michelle Foster's recipe.

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:33am
post #10 of 18

I use Satin Ice. i was wondering how the Fondx, etc. was to use. My dilemma is that i don't live near a cake supply store and have to order everything. i'm afraid i might be wasting some money if i order something and don't like it.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:47am
post #11 of 18

I use Pettinice for now. It doesn't dry too fast and crack like some others I've tried. I like the taste a lot better, too, but it's more expensive and harder to find. When we move to the East coast, though, I may have to switch because I haven't found anywhere that sells it locally and it costs waaayyyy too much to ship.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:49am
post #12 of 18

I've used Satin Ice, fondarific and duff's, I also use Wilton's for decorations (flowers,borders,ect.) I would love to try Uster, but the price! I would also love to try and make my own, but haven't had the guts yet, even though so many of you here at CC say it's so easy and convenient. Soon....very soon.

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:53am
post #13 of 18

What's "USTER"?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:10am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskavon

What's "USTER"?

This: http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023.html

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:24am
post #15 of 18

I use Fonderific/satin Ice,,but Duff's if I have a coupon only...OTHERWISE>>i'm trying to master mmf to look nice..it drives me crazy sometimes, yet cheap.

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 18

WOW, this is really interesting. Do people actually like the Satin Ice or do they take it off before they eat the cake?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_cake_maker

fondarific (for example) tastes better but is hard to work with.

Fondarific is soft, true, but I think it's easier to work with than , which dries too quickly for me. I've recently taken to using a 60/40 mix of and Fondarific and it works really well. For my next cake, I think I'll take the plunge and order some Albert Uster...just to see if it's as good as it's reputed to be.

I'll have to try this tip! Thanks for sharing.

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 18

I have used mmf, satin ice and fondariffic. I like fondafiffic the best. These prices people are quoting are all over the place. I'm confused. I pay 60 for a 10lb bucket of fondariffic at my local cake store. Are these prices off the internet? Not including shipping? Or am I paying way too much for fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%