Why Do We Cover Wires?

Decorating By NatalieC923 Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 2:29am by NatalieC923

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 5

OK I am fairly new to gumpaste flowers, and I am NOT good at taping really thin wires. I was in Hobby Lobby looking for pre-taped wires, and they did have them, but they were pretty thick (probably did not split the tape before covering). I mentioned this to the sales girl and she asked why I couldn't just use the green coated wires without taping them. I realized the only answer I had was because I read you have to tape them, but I don't really know why. What is the purpose of the tape?

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 5

I am by no means an expert, but from my experince, the tape helps old the gumpaste on the wire and in place. When I made some leaves for my poinsittas on unwrapped wires the leaves spun around on the wires.

Instead of looking at local craft stores, I'd suggest order from cake supply websites. They sell all kinds of sizes of wires that are wrapped in white or green, ready to use. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5

Unwrapped wires--or even the cloth/thread covered wires--will rust immediately upon exposure to moisture in the cake--YUCK!

Not that wrapped wires should ever be put directly into a cake--no matter WHAT we see Duff & Buddy do......so, that's one reason to wrap with tape--it's pretty moisture proof.

As TS said, another reason is to stabilize the gum paste item on the end of the wire. The tape definitely keeps them from spinning & sliding.

The wires available at the craft store are generally cloth/thread wrapped. They're really not for making gum paste flowers because the thread releases as soon as it gets wet.

The best wires are the paper wrapped wires from Japan---Sunrise is one brand--and you can order those from a variety of cake deco site, including globalsugarart.com

HTH
Rae

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 5

Another reason is that depending on what wire you are using the wire could contain food safe metals so wrapping the wires in tape or sticking them in picks or straws helps to avoid the metal from coming into contact with the cake.

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 5

Thanks all. That makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%