Holy Crap I Hope I Can Pull This Off

Decorating By YOUnique_Cakes Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 12:15am by ILoveDaffodils

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 13

I have never done a carved cake but I'm not gonna turn something down just because I've never done it before. I do however needs some advice or some tips. I am making a carved cake for 150 people....yep 150. It's not a real hard design but it's gonna be tall. It's gonna be a burlap potato bag with potato's on the top and some spilling out on the cake board. It's for a potato farmers party. I just need advice on the height of the cake. This is gonna be tall and I use WASC cakes. I know my supports for each layer is vital but any other tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 13

150 ain't that many. You'll be fine.

I'd use a piece of foam in the base under the board so I can sink some dowel down into the foam so it has stability to not topple over.

It sounds awesome. Making potatoes & burlap too cool. Fun.

Oh, use a little cocoa powder to dust around for the potatoeyness factor.

Maybe 16 inches tall--a four tier 12x6 give or take--that would literally be 180 wilton wedding size servings so that gives you 30 servings of leeway. Leeway to round off corners and then add a few servings disguised as spuds.

I can't wait to see it.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 13

I mean you could just bake off some ovals & stack 'er up--make the burlap look rolled down a bit.

This sounds like so much fun.

tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 13

You can do it!

If you follow Buddy from the (Cake Boss television show) the actual carving is smaller when you put it on a "sheet" cake and allows for "fallen" potatoes.......giving another layer to the design.

Of course K8memphis has some wonderful advice. I would use oval pans also and cocoa powder. But with my newbie students the Buddy style would help it be a bit more manageable. HTH

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 13

WOW!!! I never thought of that!!! Thanks you both soooo much. I will post pics. One question, will I have to separate each cake with a cake board and dowels or can I stack them like 6 inches high before separating them with a cake board? I was also looking for small oval pan much like the wilton small baseball pans, does anyone know where to find any of those.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 13

I would put support every 4-5 inches in this.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 13

And let the stacked cake rest really well so it settles before your final coating.
Candy clay is a good idea. Or that mixed with fondant.

"Would you like fries with that?" icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFiend Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 13
Originally Posted by YOUnique_Cakes

One question, will I have to separate each cake with a cake board and dowels or can I stack them like 6 inches high before separating them with a cake board?

Don't stack to 6 inches without support! Don't, don't, don't! I thought I could get away with a tiny little section of cake 6" high without support (really little, like maybe 3"x4") on the top of a Thomas the Tank Engine. Nope, that little section collapsed during "settle" time, and I had to downstack and replace the bottom layer.

Support every 4"! I've learned my lesson! I probably won't even go to 5" without support anymore...

tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 13

I always support every tier.

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks!!! I so appreciate all of your advice!!! I love being able to get help my fellow cake experts. icon_biggrin.gif

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:59am
post #11 of 13

Well cake is done and I wanna thank everyone for all of their help and for answering my post!

uniquecreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 13

WOW!!! you did an awesome job!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

ILoveDaffodils Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #13 of 13

I didn't have any advice to give but I was following your thread so I could see how you did. You did an awe thumbs_up.gif some job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%