Choosing Colors

Decorating By ylil Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 2:48pm by ylil

ylil Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 11:50am
post #1 of 6

I'm fairly new at this and I'm having the hardest time choosing/picturing colors for frosting! I'm doing a birthday cake with different fondant flowers in bright colors - hot pink, lime green, some zebra stripes...it's going to be a small stacked cake, 2-8" layers and 2-6" layers...have no idea about colors for base buttercream...was thinking one (top??) should be white but maybe the bottom should be something different? The fondant flowers on bottom with have lime green stems and leaves going around the bottom cake with bright blossoms on top. Any suggestions?

Please and THANK YOU!!!

Lily

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 6

That sounds like you're going to have a lot going on on the cake! Are the zebra stripes going to be on the cake itself? You could do stripes on both tiers and then just add the color in the flowers. I don't think I'd put a bright color on the cake itself if there are a lot of bright colors in the flowers, that might be too much.

aligotmatt Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

That sounds like you're going to have a lot going on on the cake! Are the zebra stripes going to be on the cake itself? You could do stripes on both tiers and then just add the color in the flowers. I don't think I'd put a bright color on the cake itself if there are a lot of bright colors in the flowers, that might be too much.

I think that would look great. Do a whole black and white zebra cake with the bright flowers.

usmdesigner Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 6

I would also like to know how you decided whether or not you are going to paint the fondant vs making the fondant that color with coloring. Of course painting has its place for effect, but I see people make comments about just painting it fully instead of adding coloring to make it.

Is there a general guideline for colors that most people paint on instead of trying to make?

costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

For black I would paint it on, as opposed to trying to color it black. It takes a TON of food coloring to get a good black, so unless you buy it premade it's really hard to get it dark enough. It's easier to paint the stripes on if your options are paint it or make it from white fondant.

ylil Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! This is the cake that has inspired me: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1387464 (so beautiful!) and I'm going to try to upload my fondant accents to my photos (ignore the bunny - he's for something else). The cake will be frosted in buttercream, (haven't mastered fondant yet) - the zebra stripes are only on discs (like her green ones - and flowers)....I was thinking white for the top cake (like hers) - and I have (hopefully) a pink loopy bow - if I can figure out how to put it together, that is - for the top. The "16" I'm going to either paint with hot pink luster dust or re-do in zebra stripes. Should I try to make the bottom cake a color (soft) or no? I'm just going blank on this!

Thanks so much for your help/suggestions!

Lily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%